Some general questions, LinkSys - WRT300N - Draft N, etc...

pairodocks

Hello Everyone, Moderators, Members, etc.

I am new here and to using UTorrent and bittorrents, in general. I am not sure what all of the terms mean and their respective functions in the actual app. I have 4 questions:

1.) I have the new version 1.6 (build 474). I know how to use it in a general way and have been downloading successfully with a direct cable modem. I have just bought the LinkSys WRT300N (Draft N protocol). Are there any known issues that I should be aware of? I have not set it up yet?

2.) Is there any place where I can go that explains what all of the things in preferences do? I am not familiar with terms like "UPnp" and what it does or is for. I read here on another topic that "enable Upnp port mapping" should be unchecked for another Linksys router (WRT54G). Other terms I do not understand in the program and in Prefs are are "infohashing", "hash fails", "DHT Network", "ask tracker for scrape information", etc. I would really like to understand all of the program, its terms, and capabilities.

3.) Is it recommended to check "Add uTorrent to Firewall exceptions". I do not have Windows Firewall enabled?

4.) Should I do anything with "Proxy Server" in the Connection tab under Prefs?

Any info for a newbie would be appreciated and I thank you in advance. :)

Thanks, Ultima. I think? :) What does "=T" mean?

I would certainly be very interested in reading your manual. I can understand the technology if it is explained to me. I would like to learn more about bittorrents in general and more about how uTorrent works it.

What is Proxy Server anyway? I told you I was "green".

"=T" is an emoticon.

A proxy is (essentially) a computer that is told to make a connection to another computer, and relay the data transferred between those two computers, to the original computer that connected to the proxy (your computer if you connected to the proxy). Essentially, using a proxy is a way to make an indirect connection to another computer by way of the proxy computer.

Thank you for the explanation. I will be anxiously waiting for your manual tying everything in uTorrent together by way of an explanantion. It would be good to go through the program window by window.

BTW, the emoticon did not show up as an image and my smilies are on. I can see mine with no problem. :)

Ultima, Would you mind if I ask you one more question, please?

I have d/lded CDs with just a bin and cue file in each. I have never encountered this. I read that I should be able to burn with Nero the .cue file and that would automatically extract the .bin file with the image that I needed. I have attempted this twice. The files are there in the folder on my hd but I am burning coasters, nada... Could you shed some light on what I may be doing wrong? Normally I have burned .iso with no problem, but these files do not contain any .isos. H E L P!

Simple put UPnP takes care of mapping ports on your router. Your router must support it and there are some compatibility issues.

Portmaps make sure a connection from the internet finds its way to your PC. Because a connection from the internet could be directed at any PC in your home network the router must be setup to redirect the trafic to your comp.

If you do not want to use UPnP or UPnP doesn't seem to work you need to map the utorrent port (you picked in the utorrent configuration) to your computer in your router manually.

Nefarious, you wrote:

Announcement:

This forum is NOT for help with videos, games, movies, or anything you've downloaded!

Posting about any illegal sharing of copyrighted content is strictly FORBIDDEN.

I understand the non support issue for ANY downloads, but I did NOT post anything about illegal sharing of copyrighted material! I just asked a question about downloading a type of file. So please DO NOT ACCUSE me of something I did not do or even imply that I did something illegal.

I really resent the implication. You need to watch what you write about other people. :(

Thank you, Lord A. for your time and the education on port mapping, but I think it is a little over my head at this stage of my education.

You wrote:

If you do not want to use UPnP or UPnP doesn't seem to work you need to map the utorrent port (you picked in the utorrent configuration) to your computer in your router manually.

Re: above

I do not understand this and have never configured anything to do with uTorrent or a router. Soon I will be connecting to the Linksys Router I mentioned in this thread (WRT300N). It will be connecting 3 computers - 1 desktop and 2 laptops.

We'll see if any issues come up, since this router encorporates the new protocol for wireless.

Ultima,

Thanks for the link to terms.

I am familiar with all of the basic terms and what they mean and do. It is much of the configuring and why in uTorrent that I do not understand - especially in Prefs, but of course also requiring explanation is what is contained in the tabs below the download area - "General" "Peers" "Pieces" etc.

Good luck with the manual. I can't wait to read it.

Thank you again for your time and patience. :D

If you are going to use a wifi router make sure u know at least how to password protect your wireless network.

If uPnP doesn't work and u do not map the ports manually utorrent will work but your speeds can be really low.

You can always goto Options, Speed Guide and then press 'Test if port is forwarded properly' to check.

About the bin/cue thing. This format is most commonly (might I say almost exclusively) used by groups spreading copyrighted materials. Nefarious made his assumption based on that fact, I hope u can understand that. Then again, Ultima put it in a more civilized way so that IS posible too.

Archived