Tool to upload & start a torrent on remote computer

hmvanrossum

I created a tool, uTorrent FileHandler to start new torrents remotely. It's very easy in use, just copy the file uTorrentHandler to your Program Files directory (or whatever) and start it. It will show you the following dialog:

uTorrentHandlerScreenshot.jpg

Enter the information asked and press on OK.

Now you can associate .torrent files with the filehandler by right-click on an arbitrary torrent file -> Open with -> Choose Program -> Browse... -> Select the program uTorrentHandler.exe

That's it.

Of course there are some things to do:

*Better error handling

*Balloon tip when download is finished

*Making the program smaller (it's currently bigger than uTorrent)

-----

You can download it at:

http://www.HarmenvanRossum.nl/Projecten/uTorrentHandler/uTorrentHandler.zip (Source included)

http://cdlist.mine.nu/dump/uTorrentHandler.zip (Lord Alderaan's mirror, no source)

Ultima: Added mirror.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Would it be possible for you to change up the addon so that you can automatically send certain file extensions to a certain network path? e.g. so you can use it for other torrent clients or NZB files. You'd setup the program to have it send whatever file you just loaded into a designated network path, which would obviously be a torrent or NZB black hole?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

OOOH! This is a nice way around trying to login to webui with my connection being almost-choked upload. The WebUI increasingly has to send more data the more torrents are loaded... I estimated it's the initial .zip + 250 bytes per torrent. Now that may not seem like alot, but with established long-running instances it can be a problem. This solves that headache.

(including URL to examples of real-world uT working... trouncing the ability of other clients by far)

Did I forget to say thanks? THANK YOU!! :cool:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think this is very cool, but I wanted to humbly offer this bookmarklet as an alternative:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=38228

Though it's more of a hack than a nicely integrated utility, it manages to get the same thing accomplished without having to download/install anything, it works on non-Windows OSes, and it happens to be significantly smaller in size. ;)

Actually, you did miss something. ;)

My one-line bookmarklet only forwards to the iPhone UI if you're using it from an iPhone or iPod Touch (since the regular WebUI doesn't work on iPhones, this was an acceptable choice). If you use it in Firefox/IE/etc., it forwards to the regular WebUI. Try it out. :)

Also, the bookmarklet itself stores your username:password if you want it to (you can change "<HOST>" to "username:password@host:port" or just "host:port" if you prefer). It's all up to you. If you don't want it to store your username:password, simply omit it and your web-browser will prompt you for it.

Of course it's up to the user to choose, and I'm not trying to dissuade people from using this utility. I just noticed that some of the issues that users have had with this utility (large size, doesn't run on Macs, etc.) are not a problem with mine.

And since this topic has been around for a couple of years, and users might be subscribed to it but not the WebUI sticky, it would be worth mentioning as an on-topic alternative. I hope you'll agree. :)

• 4 months later...

Archived