why such low write_queue_size?

Kenrin

its not that, i just always noticed the buffer queue is always at least 16mb on ALL other torrent programs default. i really didn't notice it was set that low until i tried burning an iso file from the HD i was downloading to and i couldn't get past 5x burning speed trying to burn a 12x dvd, buffer levels kept dropping =/

just wanted to know the reason for the default so low?

its not that, i just always noticed the buffer queue is always at least 16mb on ALL other torrent programs default. i really didn't notice it was set that low until i tried burning an iso file from the HD i was downloading to and i couldn't get past 5x burning speed trying to burn a 12x dvd, buffer levels kept dropping =/

just wanted to know the reason for the default so low?

Yeah, uTorrent is doing excessive writing to disk, I don't know why, but it's not very healthy for the disk so it should be fixed.

Having it at default of 1000 will toast your disk sooner or later.

im guessing that write_queue_size in µtorrent is the same as disc-cache in bitcomet?

In that case the default for bitcomet are these ranges: 6-50Mb (it auto chooses disc size in those ranges) v0.60. And Bitcomet shrinks the cache if RAM is lower than 50Mb..

I raised my cache size to 32000 (32Mb).. maybe my disc will live a little bit longer this way?

:)

wow, setting it to 32 MB did miracles for me :)

I can get contemporary upload and download speeds of around 2 to 4 MB/s (thats bytes, yes :P) on my connection.

Before I set the Write Queue Size to 32MB, utorrent would always give me the Disk Overloaded notification. Now it's gone and my memory usage has gone down from 120 MB to around 30-40 MB :D

I can get contemporary upload and download speeds of around 2 to 4 MB/s (thats bytes, yes :P) on my connection.

Before I set the Write Queue Size to 32MB, utorrent would always give me the Disk Overloaded notification. Now it's gone and my memory usage has gone down from 120 MB to around 30-40 MB :D

What is your disk delay set to, standard 500 or more???

What is your disk delay set to, standard 500 or more???

standard 500

btw, if I click 'Help-->Debug Info' I get:

#Incoming conn:3415

#Outgoing conn:2235

Isn't that aLOT of connections? Because my global max connections is set to 250..

I guess that means if you set a large size, the "advertised" memory footprint for uTorrent is no longer 4MB but is more like 36 MB for those users who set a giant size cache for uTorrent.

I have a giant cache (32000).. and my µTorrent is using 4Mb now and peak usage is 21Mb.. not that bad! :)

I guess that means if you set a large size, the "advertised" memory footprint for uTorrent is no longer 4MB but is more like 36 MB for those users who set a giant size cache for uTorrent.

I have a giant cache (32000).. and my µTorrent is using 4Mb now and peak usage is 21Mb.. not that bad! :)

So, report it in the bugs section... you cannot have less then 32000+ in memory unless the cache is in the swap file - which is not really a proper cache for a hard drive...

So, report it in the bugs section... you cannot have less then 32000+ in memory unless the cache is in the swap file - which is not realy a proper cache for a hard drive...

Now I have about 5Mb in ram and 12in the swap.. hmm.. isnt there something deeper to this, like windows taking over the cache function yadda thingie and not a bug???

Can this be done for read cache aswell? I'm currently using BitComet with 300 MB disk cache (with my 512 MB RAM), transfering DVD-size files at 100 Mbit. I use an external firewire harddrive, so reads aren't very fast, and I rely quite alot on cache. Even with my large cache in BC, I get 7 or more actual reads per second to the drive. Reducing slots is not much of an option since many of the other peers aren't that fast and would waste my bw.

Archived