why such low write_queue_size?

Kenrin

My downloads can easily max (300KB/s) with the default setting of 1000. It sounds like the increased cache size is simply working around another bottleneck on your computer (slow disk?).

Yes, ever since I accidentally formatted my hard disk in Linux into some wierd proprietary Sun format, it's been pokey ever since...even after reformatting and installing Winbloze. :( And before you ask, yes, DMA is enabled.

Damn Gentoo manual... :evil:

its not that, i just always noticed the buffer queue is always at least 16mb on ALL other torrent programs default. i really didn't notice it was set that low until i tried burning an iso file from the HD i was downloading to and i couldn't get past 5x burning speed trying to burn a 12x dvd, buffer levels kept dropping =/

just wanted to know the reason for the default so low?

Yeah, uTorrent is doing excessive writing to disk, I don't know why, but it's not very healthy for the disk so it should be fixed.

Having it at default of 1000 will toast your disk sooner or later.

i am really sorry but can someone explain this sentence to me...wat does it mean? mine is set at default and my hardisk is quite an old hd with ATA-100 and 5400 rpm only. Hence why does 1000 toast the hd and not 10000? isnt it the greater the no. of writing?

Larger cache means less writes. When you're downloading, µTorrent fills up the cache with the data you download. If the cache is small (1000KB), µTorrent has to write to disk and flush the cache every time it download 1000KB. If it's set to something higher, like... 5000KB, it writes every time it download 5000KB, which is a lot less often (a fifth of the default).

Larger cache means less writes. When you're downloading, µTorrent fills up the cache with the data you download. If the cache is small (1000KB), µTorrent has to write to disk and flush the cache every time it download 1000KB. If it's set to something higher, like... 5000KB, it writes every time it download 5000KB, which is a lot less often (a fifth of the default).

hey thanks ultima!! *bull's eye*

anyway so wats the maximum cache one can go ...? and wats the penalty for the maximum cache and the optimum amount do you have any idea? looks like 1000kb is too small for me ...as my hd is slow and i want to prevent as little writing as possible because it will slow down my computer isnt it?

It really depends on how much RAM you have as well. I'd say that somewhere between 10MB and 32MB should work. Anything higher is more wasteful than helpful.

thanks alot ultima..so if i change this do i need to change other things to compliment that change? eg disk delay? ^_^ sorry for so many qns noob here...

Archived