Slow speeds after windows re-install

MonsieurFluffe

Not too long ago i reinstalled my entire windows OS and the speeds of my torrents have dropped so insanely low that its depressing.

So far i've tried every single tip on speeding up that's out there and nothing has worked. I have seeds and peers that i am connected to, however, as i refer to the FLAGS column (im using Utorrent btw), from what i can see, im ready to download from many of my peers but they are not willing to send me anything. There are also many peers that i seem to have "snubbed". As for the peers that i DO download from, i tend to download at speeds off less than 1 kb/s and only for a few seconds, before the download for that single peer stops.

I do know however, that i AM capable of reaching high speeds, if im lucky. For example, recently i downloaded a movie that had about 2000 seeds and 1000 leechers. My speeds went up to 90 kb/s!

But with every other torrent, i cant even reach above 5kb/s.

This is very depressing as im used to high speeds, which i cant seem to achieve ever since i reinstalled my windows OS. Any help is appreciated!

P.S. I understand that torrents work on "credit" as in, i'll get more speed if i share more. Could my "credit" have been reset after my OS reinstallation?

Here's a screenshot. maybe someone can help me understand my peers a bit more by reading the flags?

torrent.jpg

Tried the openoffice torrent, speeds all below 5kb/s. Connecting to peers, from what i see is fine. Its as if they just dont wanna give me any lovin =(. ahha.

I doubt its the whole upload ratio thing, coz ive been uploadin a lot and heck, to SOME peers my uploads go all the way up to 20, maybe 25kb/s.

OCCASSIONALLY i do get peers that transfer above 3kb/s to me, but thats quite rare. What could be the problem? :(

By the way, you may be able to open connections with a bunch of users, but you might not have configured your computer properly to maintain too many simultaneous connections.

By the way, low peer download speeds are normal. Many people have very low upload caps (ISPs do that to discourage people from using their connection for hosting home servers), I myself cap my upload at 20KB/s max (it's usually 10 or 15), so if I connected to 20 people, that would already be about 1kb/s each on average. I normally have more than 20 people download from me.

Okay i just noticed something. I CAN get high speeds, like right now im gettin 20kb/s from ONE peer! But there's only one problem, i get these kinda speeds from peers from the SAME COUNTRY (and most probably the same ISP). Im in malaysia btw.

Sigh. Okay. So what does this mean, somethin to do with my ISP? But why now, why not a week ago before my reinstall....

And any tips for the DHT? Its always below 100...

Check this list out then http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs ... I can see two malaysians ISP's there

So what does this mean, somethin to do with my ISP? But why now, why not a week ago before my reinstall....

Regardless how naive can it sounds this still could be pure coincidence. Besides, the situation with traffic shaping in such ISP is always unstable and can change everyday.

For example, I can see in that bad ISP's list a malaysian provider TM net but I am sure still seeing peers from this net and exchanging data with them from time to time. It probably means not all users are being shaped out there (...yet?)

jmmtn4aj said:

"I myself cap my upload at 20KB/s max (it's usually 10 or 15), so if I connected to 20 people, that would already be about 1kb/s each on average. I normally have more than 20 people download from me."

Just make sure your upload speed PER total upload slots is at least 1 KB/sec...preferably 3-10 KB/sec.

This means if you're uploading at 20 KB/sec and running 5 torrents at once then set upload slots no higher than 4 per torrent (4 x 5 = 20). It would be faster downloading probably to have max torrents set at only 3 with upload slots set at 3. Even then the upload speed per total upload slots would be barely 2 KB/sec.

Ladies and gentlepeople, i have an announcement to make.

Uh, i just formatted my entire harddrive and reinstalled windows from scratch, and somehow the torrent that i was downloading seems to be picking up reasonable speed! Im actually getting regular peers from all countries sending to me at speeds of above 1kb/s.

I dont wanna raise my hopes on this so i'll go on testing for awhile and let y'all know how it goes.

Archived