How do I uninstall.......

computerditz

Uhm...O.K.... :lol: This is quite funny, actually. Anyway, you just delete the µTorrent.exe file. I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, though... :? µTorrent is the best thing since sliced bread. If you need help with a problem, just yell, we're here for you. 8)

Uhm...O.K.... :lol: This is quite funny, actually. Anyway, you just delete the µTorrent.exe file. I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, though... :? µTorrent is the best thing since sliced bread. If you need help with a problem, just yell, we're here for you. 8)

lol. Thanx for the help.

I'm uninstalling it,because I'm not sure what i'm supposed to be using it for. I thought it was like Ares and LimeWire but I guess I was wrong :(

That's O.K. my young pedawan...it's very easy to learn. ;)

First, you search for something you want, say the latest OpenOffice.org suite. You could download the .torrent file from OpenOffice.org itself, or from another site like Mininova or the official BitTorrent site. Once you download the little .torrent file, double-click on it. That should launch µTorrent and you're on your way to becoming a Master torrent user. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Not only must you manually delete the exe, and manually delete the settings data, you also need to delete the shortcut in the start menu. And what about the file association????

Shame on you uTorrent. Any half-decent application includes an uninstall option. A truly polished application leaves zero trace of itself when uninstalled.

There is no excuse for this kind of sloppiness.

It has been said many times, adding an installer will bloat the program without really being useful. µTorrent is based on simplicity, there's no "shame" in that...in fact, I'd like to more programs like µTorrent. :)

P.S. a tool like CCleaner will take proper care of your system, if you're so concerned.

Not only must you manually delete the exe, and manually delete the settings data, you also need to delete the shortcut in the start menu. And what about the file association????

Shame on you uTorrent. Any half-decent application includes an uninstall option. A truly polished application leaves zero trace of itself when uninstalled.

Delete the .exe, Delete the appdata folder if you're super paranoid and picky about tiny-sized leftovers.

uTorrent is way more then half-decent, and unlike 1kB programs that have unneeded 2MB installers, uT does NOT need one. File association is also set by your new torrent program anyway, and the measly single registery string including uTorrent.exe in the list is meaningless and does nothing.

Shame on you for being a spoiled and\or lazy user. There's no excuse for procrastination and blind ignorance.

I agree that an installer/uninstaller would be completely useless. However, I think that µTorrent itself should be able to "act" like an uninstaller. If any of you are familiar with PuTTY, the free Windows SSH client, it has a commandline option "-clean" that makes PuTTY delete its registry entries and random seed file, leaving only putty.exe (it is also installer-less). I was thinking that µTorrent should have a similar feature. Perhaps not through the commandline, but you get the idea.

Sorry to say, but you're an idiot. I hope that was sarcastic to at least some degree. No application that I have seen (which alters registry and whatnot) cleanly uninstalls itself, and it's mainly Windows' fault. You need applications such as Your Uninstaller! or something in order to cleanly remove the application, and even then there tend to be empty <SoftwareName> folders.

I personally have the uTorrent exec and settings/resume files in one folder which enables me to quickly delete the program (if there was ever the need) by just deleting the folder. In doing so the only left over data from uTorrent would be that of .torrent associations.

You don't have to delete the file association, period. :rolleyes:

It doesn't take much space and if you intend to use a different bittorrent client those settings will just override.

I think the shortcut came with an earlier version. It musta asked me about creating a shortcut at least once. I had a problem where the shortcut kept pointing to an older version of uT when I tried to use newer versions. I had to manually make it point to the latest. I never brought it up as a bug or anything cuz I thought i was tripping. I still got the shortcut (its on the first menu w/ WordPad, WinUpdate, Calculator, etc. when u click start.) The only other way it could be there is if I manually put it there. And I know I didnt. I also know it created one cuz I couldnt make the 'µ' back then. And I had a shortcut on my desktop w/ 'µ'. Anytime I manually make a shortcut, it comes out like 'u'. This shortcut thing mighta came with an older version.

Hmmm... it seems I have upset a few peeps here.

I've been called "Sarcastic", "Lazy", "Spoiled", "Idiot" and, my favourite "Blind Ignorant"

Arguments against adding an uninstall range from "it would bloat the software", through "only paranoid, picky peeps would want to" and "the replacement app would change the file extension" to "anyway, other apps leave traces of themselves".

So let's examine those points:

I have been know to be sarcastic but I'm not doing so in this case.

I'm mostly not lazy.

I'm definitely not spoiled.

I can be idiotic at times.

I confess to a significant amount of ignorance on many subjects. For the most part, software is not one of them.

Adding an uninstall would not bloat the software. Adding a single "uninstall" to windows control panel list takes less than 500 bytes. I can tell you how to do it if you like. Alternatively, adding a command line option to the exe (like "/u") and a shortcut to it would add (I estimate) between 300 and 1000 bytes. Hardly bloatware.

I'm neither paranoid nor picky but I have installed 4 BitTorrent clients to evaluate and I expect to be able to remove the three that I don't want without manually hunting down settings files. Frankly the suggestion that one of the other apps would change the file extension and/or that other apps are crap at uninstalling are completely trite comments. And of the 4 clients, uTorrent is the only one that has no uninstall facility. Oh yeah, but how stupid of me. All I have to do is delete the exe file. Oh, and hunt down the settings (once I read the forum to find out that they exist). Oh, and delete that pesky short cut that had the arrogance to install itself in the top level of my start menu (no humble "Programs" entry for this application). Oh and the other shortcut that is on the desktop. The one that now had no icon because I've deleted the exe file.

There is an overriding feeling here that everyone on here thinks that uTorrent is so good that it doesn't need an uninstall because no-one would ever want to uninstall it. That is a tad too arrogant. BitTorrent will live for a while then be replaced by the latest, greatest thing. In a year or three, every single one of you will be using a different P2P technology. That's how the software world works. And yes, a few remnants of uTorrent on the system don't really matter. They don't take up much space. But wouldn't it be nice to clean up properly?

I've been a professional software engineer since 1989 (yes, calculate my age....). That doesn't make me any wiser but I have seen more than a few software applications and let me tell you, adding a bit of polish always helps to promote a professional image.

So, in summary, there is really no excuse for not providing an uninstall. If the application was truly stand-alone, did not add anything to the Start Menu or Desktop and saved no settings anywhere then that would be fine. But it does.

IMHO that makes it sloppy programming. You may now abuse me some more for daring to state the truth as I see it, lol....

Any half-decent application includes an uninstall option. A truly polished application leaves zero trace of itself when uninstalled.

please tell that to Microsoft, and the 50 other programs I've used in the past, who didnt remove their entries from the registry? :)

I think I agree with zthboing on the uninstall point. I think Animorc just created a command line uninstall fucntion. lol. But not the truly polished app point, cuz too many times I have a program folder or registry entry left behind. If truly polished appz left no traces, then there is no such thing as truly polished appz. If there are truly polished appz, the list is very small. And no one said uT was truly polished. I think there ooulda been an uninstall function for the version that created the shortcut, tho. But all the latest ones dont create the shortcut. (for me anyway)

And like with zthboing, it installed the shortcut on the top level of my start menu (by calculator, notepad, etc.) and on my desktop. I never posted the shortcut pointing to older versions as a bug cuz I thought I was the only one.

On principle, I'd also prefer that uTorrent didn't leave bits and pieces lying around after itself. I have a similar complaint with Firefox leaving the profile behind (again on principle, and also because there's no obvious way for newbies to get rid of it if/when it gets buggy).

I have been using uTorrent since it's first release and have never see nany sort of shortcut to it. I just have a shortcut in my dock which I made, none other. The "buggy" uninstallation of programs isn't always the programs fault. Everyone knows that windows has it's faults and uTorrent would have to specifically put commands into the uninstaller to delete the registry files that it would alter, whether they were altered or not. This could raise some issues with broken associations from other programs and such. I don't think i've ever seen a bittorrent client, or any other software, that actually delete associated file registries. zthboing if you've been a software engineer for so long you would know that. The file size and "irritation" of the files left by uTorrent is truly insignificant especially compared to the amount of junk that Windows voluntarily collects up in it's various temp, system folders. Apart from removing the two settings files I see no reason for utorrent to have an uninstaller.

Archived