How do I uninstall.......

computerditz

As I understand, uTorrent only makes shortcuts the first time it runs (the feature was introduced in 1.1.6, according to the changelog). If you get new versions through the update mechanism, the new executable doesn't make shortcuts.

And know I see why the shortcut kept pointing to the older version. To me, it shoulda kept creating shortcuts then. Then I wouldnt have had to go in and manually point it to the correct version. If one didnt pay attention, they would run it from the shortcut and be running older versions thinking it was the newer version. Since I knew how to fix it, it wasnt a big problem. But everyone might not know how to fix it. And after just now checking, the shortcut in the start menu is pointing to 1.1.6.1 So if I run it from there, older version loaded......see what I mean? So now I have to edit that one too or remove it......

@criscrOss: animorc made one and posted it in an earlier post. I dont know if it removes reg entries tho. I havent tried it.

To all the paranoid beings: Here you have your uninstaller.

http://animorc.com/utorrent/utorrentuninst.zip

If you want to get rid of the prompts, just add "/S" at the end of the line.

btw, if this is not apprechiated, I understand it. Edit this post then, and I'll remove the file.

It seems to not work for me.

I use (and prefer) Azureus, and all of a sudden µTorrent has become my default BT client overnight. I never willingly downloaded it or anything. I smell a rat, and I want to know how to exterminate it.

Adding an uninstall would not bloat the software. Adding a single "uninstall" to windows control panel list takes less than 500 bytes. I can tell you how to do it if you like. Alternatively, adding a command line option to the exe (like "/u") and a shortcut to it would add (I estimate) between 300 and 1000 bytes. Hardly bloatware.

Ehm.. Then people HAVE to use that option, even though they don't want to. Or else you'll have that entry there, if you use the most logical way of uninstalling, deleting the .exe.

And the application data folder is nothing to worry about, neither is the file association.

And know I see why the shortcut kept pointing to the older version. To me, it shoulda kept creating shortcuts then. Then I wouldnt have had to go in and manually point it to the correct version. If one didnt pay attention, they would run it from the shortcut and be running older versions thinking it was the newer version. Since I knew how to fix it, it wasnt a big problem. But everyone might not know how to fix it. And after just now checking, the shortcut in the start menu is pointing to 1.1.6.1 So if I run it from there, older version loaded......see what I mean? So now I have to edit that one too or remove it......

@criscrOss: animorc made one and posted it in an earlier post. I dont know if it removes reg entries tho. I havent tried it.

Hmm. If you're updating through the program, though, the old executable just gets replaced by the new one, and whatever links you had should work for the new version too (since it has the same filename). Works that way for me, at least.

since you're on the topic of updating, for some reason utorrent refuses to update or delete from my system. I can't explain it. I'm trying to go from 1.1.7.2 to the 1.2 update, no dice. From within utorrent it tells me that it's still being used even though the updater has closed the program and it's no longer in my processes. Outside of utorrent I can't delete the file either. It acts as though it's read-only although the box is clear. I've tried to uninstall from the C:\> as well..no dice, it won't believe that I have admin on my computer (which I do, and mine is the only account on it) and I can't grant admin from the C:\> either I'm not sure what to do about this. I would love to upgrade and try out the new 1.2 version. I have a feeling it's a silly windows fluke, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hmm. If you're updating through the program, though, the old executable just gets replaced by the new one, and whatever links you had should work for the new version too (since it has the same filename). Works that way for me, at least.

AH HA!! lol. NOW I see what happened. I kept renaming the .exe to what version it was when downloading it...... I kept all the versions so I had to rename em.

Yes. Im a packrat. :lol:

(but hell, my 1yr son's pinky is bigger than uT so... lol )

File association is also set by your new torrent program anyway, and the measly single registery string including uTorrent.exe in the list is meaningless and does nothing.

Problems raise when you want to re-locate the install directory of µTorrent which is different from the first time you run it. File association no longer works because you are not going to install anohter client and µTorrent won't re-associate the .exe to it's new install location.

• 8 months later...
what,

the,

f***

is wrong in your god damn head?

the freaking program keeps hangin up,

then i cant even fuckin remove it so i can reinstall it cus some little wannabe genius is to fuckin lazy and stupid to even include an UNINSTALL FUCKING OPTION! FUCKING NOOBS IM SO FUCKING ANNOYED NOW, i really enjoyed this simple program but NOW, god DAMN what is wrong with some fucking people on this god damn deserted planet?

and on TOP of ALL OF THIS FUCKING NOSENSE STUPID COMPILATION OF ERRORS AND TROUBLES, THERE ISNT EVEN AN EXECUTABLE FILE TO FUCKING DELETE,

are you deliberatley makin things this difficult? do you perhaps WANT people hunting you down and fucking kicking your ass for being so GOD DAMN STUPID? TELL ME? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE! idiots

yeah well, im going to spend an hour or more now and try to delete this stupid fucking program so i can install it again and HOPEFULLY, it wont crash every 5 minutes.

ive actually been using this stupid app for a year or so without any complications, and now when i havnt been usin it for a while its starts buggin out immedietly WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how fuckin stupid can a man be?

as stupid as to not include uninstall options or even an fuckin executable mayb.....

god damn idiots, start using the few braincells u have if you ever wannab successful, god damn fuckin idiots im so upset about this right now, gotta smoke some dope to calm down, THIS IS ALL YOUR GOD DAMN FAULT! FCUK YOU NUBZ!!!!

please fu*king uninstall any antivirus/firewalls you have.

please fu*king read the FAQ.

please FU*KING SEARCH THE FORUMS

you dont like it then DONT use it.

WE ARE NOT FORCING YOU TO USE UTORRENT. Go use Azureus k thx.

• 11 months later...

Ok being unable top uninstall utorrent is REALLY pissing me off!

Why does UTORRENT not show up in the programs list OR in the programs folder OR the list in Add or Remove Programs OR in the result of a system wide search for "utorrent"??? What idiot would design software (no matter how good the software) that bypasses all the usual Windows protocols and is installed while remaining invisible and uninstallable!

Now, can someone PLEASE give me a step by step method of removing...unistalling...nuking UTORRENT from my PC?

Thank you :-)

Archived