Initial Seeding - Sorry but another question

z9999

I created a torrent about 5 months ago, and seeded it to completion. Since then I've been PM's several times to help a peer(s) complete and have done so. As it is a very large (4.1GB) file, and I have limited UL speed I have been trying to distribute the missing pieces only allowing the additional peers (9 total now) to assist by sharing what they have while I spend time making just the missing pieces available. I have initiated initial seeding, but am curious if this helps as the missing pieces are scattered everywhere, and not consecutive. I also notice I am receiving piece requests from the peers, and that is what is making me wonder who is in control of which pieces I am sending. I have noticed another problem with one peer who if not receiving any UL drops of and returns frequently until he begins to get data and if sitting idle for a short repeats the sequence. I temporarily implemented ipfilter.dat to block that one peer and found that he possesses over 10% of the pieces needed and after allowing that peer access again, it appears that the pieces he possesses are not being shared. I also noticed that the logger tab scrolls rapidly when that peer is being blocked, so I've re-allowed him but expect I will have to seed the pieces he has received myself. I also notice he receives over 90% of my UL based on the figure in the Uploaded column, which makes me feel sorry for the other peers who are getting very little in comparison, but as he is a peer I feel it necessary to seed to him as well. Any suggestions, or clarification on the Initial seeding being worthwhile in this circumstance?

Thank you.

That's basically what I'm trying to determine. As I understand, it is used to quickly distribute the pieces among a number of peers without sending the same piece to several peers, allowing the distribution to complete more quickly and efficiently.

In the situation I'm talking about there is no one seeding, but the pieces needed to be distributed are scattered. So what I'm trying to determine is when I exercise Initial seeding does uTorrent assume that no pieces are out and try to distribute them sequentially from start to finish, or does it check to see which pieces have a zero distribution and sequentially provide them to the connected peers? Additionally, if Initial seeding and for some reason you have to exit uTorrent and then restart, how does it determine what pieces to send, or does it start over from the first?

http://www.bittornado.com/docs/superseed.txt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-seeding

it is used to quickly distribute the pieces among a number of peers without sending the same piece to several peers, allowing the distribution to complete more quickly

Wrong: It is used to distribute all pieces among peers sending as little data as possible, but NOT as fast as possible.

OK, I see what you are saying, and that may explain why I am at times unable to get any data sent as uTorrent may be waiting for each peer to complete sharing the piece sent them previously. Although in the case of one peer, it appears he has found a method to continuously DL without sharing the pieces I am sending as he quickly achieves 30MB or more while the others are lucky to get but a single piece. I guess I'll go back to normal seeding on this torrent and hope that I can eventually get it distributed to everyone. I've already sent over 120% of it and am still showing it only about 90% distributed.

Thanks for the pointers.

It's BitComet/0101 and he is popping in and out again now. He is now about 50% starting from 0% while during the same time the other peers have only increased by less than 10% each. So it looks like he is getting from all the other peers as well as from me. One peer has stuck it out continuously so hopefully he will assist seeding once complete. I'm curious about the BitComet peer though. Another BitComet/0101 peer seems to be acting well though.

I tried earlier using ipfilter.dat to see what effect banning him would accomplish, and noticed the logger page began to scroll with attempts to connect by him. I notice a drop in availability each time he disconnects, which tells me he has pieces that if shared would allow distribution to be complete in short order, and he just recently joined the swarm while the others have been on for several weeks now. I hate to disconnect someone if at all possible as I would hope to see everyone complete this as I only have about 300MB free on my hard disk and would like to delete these files. In fact as I pointed out when posting the torrent it was a special request as it is in a language few persons use, and I was surprised to see numerous peers crop up. I didn't think anyone but the 2 who had requested it would be interested. But I will try to share it with anyone who is interested anyway.

Your inability or unwillingness to connect to the one "leechy" peer shouldn't cause a problem if the other 2 peers are willing to share to it. The point is, it doesn't seem to be sharing anything back -- or doing so at such a slow speed as to be next-to-worthless. As a seeder, you don't need to upload to everyone -- only to enough that they combined can seed to everyone.

OK, Stone and Switeck, I appreciate the advice both of you have given me, and now I feel better about using ipfilter. Watching the torrent run it appears that the one peer is it's percentage much more rapidly than I could possibly UL to him, so I will let the others UL to him and maybe I can complete everyone more quickly. Thanks again.

Archived