unblocked 11 ports still get yellow signal

cyberhookup

ok when i first opened utorrent i got a red signal and then i read and unblocked 11 ports on my 2wire 2700hg-b router. and i disabled windows firewall. allowed it to pass through bitdefenders firewall and i am still getting a yellow signal. i have tried all of the 11 ports i unblocked and i keep testing them and it says

error! Port 31801 does not appear to be open.

now tell me what can i do to find an open port. also i am using dsl service. i just cant figure why none of the ports are open. can somebody tell me either why i might be having a yellow signal and or where i can find an open port please.

What ISP do you have?

Have you done research on others having BitTorrent-related problems on the same ISP?

Antivirus software and stuff like netnanny...and potentially any network-using program that may alter the way the connection works -- such as VoIP software.

i beleive i did everything corectly i followed the website portforward and did everything as it said. i even unlocked 19 different ports and none of them worked. and im not sure what an isp is can you explain it to me. and can somebody explain why some ports dont work and why some do. and why some ports only work at certain times. i dont use any programs except for bitdefender anti virus and its firewall which i have already put so it allows utorrent through.

You have to unblock one incoming port -- the port you set in µTorrent. People connect to you on that port.

You ALSO have to unblock ALL OUTGOING ports 1000-5000 in your firewall, as µTorrent uses those to connect to others.

It's basically who makes the call/makes the connection as to whether your incoming port gets used (when they "call" you) or random outgoing port 1000-5000 (if you're "calling"/connecting to someone else.)

Your modem may have a software firewall in it or even be a mini-router of its own that needs to be port forwarded or put into bridge mode.

Having lots of incoming ports unfirewalled besides the one µTorrent uses can be a security risk.

ok i actually got it working now but will i have to change ports ever or will it contunie to work for me. also i have noticed that it automatically defaults to unlimited download and upload which is ok but when you go to limit the upload to like say 10 your download speed decreases and when you put your upload speed to say 22 or 23 your download speed increases. so may i suggest that people check what there upload and download speed is before they come here looking for help on why there download speed is so slow or am i way of course with what i said.

Archived