2 questions

cocktailarch

I'm having some problems with utorrent (which is probably taken as a given seeing as I'm posting on the troubleshooting forum).

Firstly, as of today (and never before I successfully portforwarded) I am not receiving the little green disc in the status bar, but rather a red one with a '!' inside - my port has not changed, and is still forwarded through my router. The only difference I have made to utorrent was after firefox upgraded and I needed to restart in order to tell it to be the default program for .torrent files - might this have altered something? It tells me that I need to open up a port, and when I test the page tells me that the port is not forwarded, even though the port in the relevant section of my router setup page is identical to the port I am using for utorrent (39802)

Secondly (for when the above is fixed): precisely, how do I begin seeding a torrent that I have downloaded and removed from the utorrent download/upload screen? Where should the files be located? Should I go through the options in utorrent itself or just click on the .torrent icon in the folder on my computer? Please answer in as much detail as possible, as I really don't understand this one.

thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I am using the windows firewall, and have been ever since installing utorrent. As for my modem, I am on a wireless connection going through a netgear DG834G(v2). I have norton on my machine, but it is not currently running. I did recently install a program into firefox called 'fasterfox' - I'll try disabling that and see what happens.

edit: just tried this, and nothing changed.

the router goes straight to the phone socket. As for norton, utorrent's been running with no problems for some time now while Norton has been installed I'm not sure if uninstalling is the right way to go about it.

edit: are there any recent windows updates that are known to cause problems with utorrent?

It's for testing, nothing final. If it is indeed the problem, you're better off reinstalling and reconfiguring it anyway to make sure the settings aren't corrupted, conflicting, or whatever else. Normally, the Windows Update stuff don't affect port forwarding, but if your connection gets overloaded (which can happen after a Windows Update due to the lowered half-open limit), it might seem like you're firewalled.

assuming that it is not to do with norton, how do I go about altering whatever the windows update changed?

(I'm a little reluctant to uninstall norton given how much I paid for it, and that I don't have the money to resubscribe if anything goes 'wrong').

Alongside this, how do I go about uninstalling utorrent if I want to reinstall? There seems to be no uninstall facility.

note: I have tried running a speed test, and altering my settings accordingly. However, once again I never had any problems prior to this when accidentally selecting different settings (I tend to have global connections at 200, with max upload speed at no more than 30 and max download at unlimited; also, connected peers set at 3 if only uploading, and around 10 if uploading and downloading at the same time).

note 2: I'm pretty certain that it has something to do with the port, as despite forwarding the correct port on the router the test page tells me that the port is not properly forwarded.

Norton has been known to interfere, which is why I'm recommending it. Like I said, if it worked before, you can always try on a clean slate by reinstalling Norton anyway. You can find out about uninstalling µTorrent in the FAQ. As for the Windows Update thing... http://www.lvllord.de

Get the patch, run it, patch to whatever you want, but no more than 100 (though 50 is probably more than enough already).

Don't you mean 3 and 10 for ACTIVE torrents at once rather than connections per torrent?

Have you limited upload slots to only 3?

Otherwise you don't really have the upload speed to be splitting it between 10 torrents and 4 or more upload slots per torrent. (That'd be slicing 30 KB/sec 40 or more different ways...VERY slow!)

Archived