Error regarding "resume.dat" - wont let me use utorrent whatsoever

OptionVideo209

So, i ive tryed uninstalling it, reinstalling, everything you can think of... nothing works. I dont recall exactly the first time this 1 window poped up but whatever it is, it wont let me run utorrent because of it and God knows, i cant find another torrent downloading program that is as good as utorrent.

Make a long story short, this is the window that pops up, maybe someone could help... i am almost willing to send some money to someone to help me out, this is pretty annoying as you could imagine.

This is what it says in the window that pops up....

"the file 'c:\documents and settings\user\application data\utorrent\resume.dat' is in use by another process and cant be opened"

and it gives me the choiced to 1.abort 2. retry 3. ignore

whats goin on with this?

thanks ahead of time!!!

There's a free utility called "unlocker" written by Cedrick Collomb, found here: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

It's an extension to Windows Explorer. Next time you have the problem, right-click on resume.dat, and select Unlocker from the menu. It will show you what process has the file open. Once you know what, hopefully you can figure out why.

• 2 weeks later...

Check to see if you are running Windows Desktop Search (same crap as MSN/Google desktop). If at any point you tested Office 2007 it may have asked you to install desktop search. It is not worth having and you should probably remove it if you got it. Removing it seems to have goten rid of the resume.dat problem for me.

Archived