New cable modem = crappy download speeds

radioactivemaniac

I have Shaw internet access in Canada. I had an old Motorola cable modem with a 5mb/s connection, average torrent speeds were like 100kb/s and getting as high as 450kb/s with high seeded torrents. I have a home router (a D-Link DI-604) and it is port forwarded properly. I upgraded my internet connection to a 10mb/s connection which required a free modem upgrade to a Motorola SB5101. My torrent speeds have dropped a lot even on very high seeded torrents with few leechers. My speeds are around 10kb/s per torrent and a max of like 35-40kb/s total speed. Plus, when there are over 100 seeders, I can only connect to maybe 3-5 at the most, when previously I could connect to 80-90 seeders out of a hundred (I miss the days of downloading from 150 seeders and 250 leechers on a single torrent). I read on many other posts on the net that the Surfboard modems block ports. I called my ISP and they said my connection is very strong, and it seems true, the web surfing is very fast, and general downloading is about the same if not faster. I honstely cannot think of anything it could be, nothing on my computer has changed and I've even tried changing the port I am using with no success. Is this the modem that they gave me or may it be something I need to change or can fix on my own?

PS This is some information about the Surfboard modems I read:

http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Knowledge;action=display;num=1139203595

I am posting a solution I found to this problem. I tried putting the cable modem directly up to my computer and it helped nothing. Then I was trying to call my ISP tech support and was hooking up the router and then my internet wasn't working, the stupid router gave me the same IP number as the other computer, so I tried manually restarting EVERYTHING and the internet still didn't work, so I logged into the router and restarted the device that way, then everything worked properly, had to port forward again because it gave me a new IP address, speed tests confirm, 9500kb/s download and 1700kb/s upload connection. Tried downloading the test file and it downloaded at 950kb/s.

Archived