Weird problem

balajik

I was leeching a torrent and was seeding a whole list of torrents. Suddenly, my processor got very busy and then my computer froze. So, I rebooted my puter. Now, when I opened utorrent, there was nothing in there. The whole list was gone. Infact, it was as if I had just installed utorrent. You know how it opens the speed guide the first time we open utorrent after installing it...And also all my custom settings were gone!

All my downloaded torrents are intact in my hard disk. Infact, some partially downloaded torrents even had the ~uTorrentPartFile_********.dat file. If i remove a partially downloaded torrent from my client, I've noticed those files disappear. But now, they're still in the directories which means the list in the client is intact but where? I'm the only user on this computer, it's not as if I logged on another user account...

Just weird. Why and How did it happen? Any idea? Should I reload all the torrents that I was leeching and seeding? Thanks.

PS: I tried this:

-deleted settings.dat and renamed settings.dat.old to settings.dat and also deleted resume.dat and renamed resume.dat.old to resume.dat

But it didn't change anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think that I have any incompatible software but it happened again now. And this time I noticed a message in the status bar, something like 'Disk Overloaded 100%'. How can i prevent a disk overload?

Edit: From the FAQ

What does Disk Overloaded in the status bar mean?

This means that the disk was not able to keep up with the read/write speed. To fix this, you can change the options in Disk Cache.

However, if this happens when adding a torrent, it is normal, and due to a design limitation in µTorrent, which will be fixed in the future, not because your disk is actually overloaded. It will disappear after a few minutes.

Solutions:

1. Write out untouched blocks every 2 minutes will control whether µTorrent flushes the chunks from incomplete pieces to disk if the piece has been inactive for 2 minutes. Turn this off if using very large cache values or experiencing disk overload during your download (NOT if you just added the torrent, that is normal!).

2. Write out finished pieces immediately will control whether µTorrent writes finished pieces immediately. If turned off, it will write them after a maximum of 15 seconds. Turn this off if using very large cache values or experiencing disk overload during your download (NOT if you just added the torrent, that is normal!).

3. Increase automatic cache size when cache thrashing will make µTorrent increase the automatic cache size if you are experiencing disk overloads, because of very high speeds or a slow disk. Do NOT turn this on if you are experiencing disk overload while you just added the torrent, that is normal.

By default, 1 and 2 are turned on while 3 is not. As of now, I've turned on 3rd option as well. Is this the correct way? Should I turn off 1 and 2 to avoid disk overloading?

Archived