Router port problems

TuriusUSA

I have a DSL modem this is connected to a router with 2 phone ports [Vonage], and then connected to a wireless router.

I did the port forwarding that was suggested to all of the routers and modem. However, I still can not get the port forwarding to work and at the current download rate < 1kb, it will take me months to get the software i want.

How can I fix this?

Turius

static IPs are likely required by both routers for forwarding, so

the Vonage router doesn't need its own static IP.

The wireless router requires a static IP (because the vonage router refuses to forward without it. There may be special requirements beyond it just being static)

The final computer requires a static IP (because the wireless router refuses to forward without it. There may be special requirements beyond it just being static)

Tryed the "ipconfig /all" and it will not show anything, it flashes a dos window and disappers...

Very strange, also I just noticed that the System Restore has been shut off, NOT BY ME, I hate this bs.....anytime I try to change something I find another problem that was due perhaps to an earlier "fix"......one of my computers on the network stated that MS installed a update that was not compatible with my system....it then stated that I had to install another update to fix the last one.......whatever.....anyway.....can't see anything when using the "ipconfig /all"

Yea, that goes without saying......I know computers, just not networking......

So when I went to the IP changing site, they helped however, because i have a modem and two routers it is hard for me to figure out which IP address to use, the modem I would think, however, I am not sure and don't want to mess things up.....

Which do I use, modem IP?

The [Westell 6100] modem is connected from the verizon DSL phone service to the 1st router [Linksys RT31P2] with Vonage phone service, which connects to the 2nd wireless router

[Netgear WGR614v5] this connects my wireless computers and also a couple of wired computers.

A bit of a mess I know, I called the router companies to set up the network but they stated that because the routers are from different companies they will not be able to help me.

ANY HELP ANY OF YOU CAN GIVE ME WILL BE HELPFULL....

Thank you

Son of a... that's 3 routers, I hope you know. The Westell functions as a router+modem. Since your computer is at the very end of the chain, you're going to have to forward everything. Manually. From your Westell 6100 to your Linksys RT31P2, then from your Linksys RT31P2 to your Netgear WGR614v5, and finally, from your Netgear WGR614v5 to your computer. In the process of it all, you have to make sure each device (besides the Westell) gets a static LAN IP set up. That means the Linksys, the Netgear, and your computer. The routers you're going to have to figure out on your own as to where you set the IP addresses, and you'll find instructions for the computer at portforward.com as well.

And there's nothing that says your download speed is supposed to be higher than your upload speed.

ANY HELP ANY OF YOU CAN GIVE ME WILL BE HELPFULL....

You know, I really dislike it when people say stuff like this when I'm already in the middle of assisting them. Saying that just makes it look like you think nothing of my attempts. It's already assumed that anyone who knows of a solution can participate in the discussion and help you anyway -- it's a public forum -- so there's no point reiterating the obvious =\

Thank you, and I have tried the links you gave [nice] and did the port forwarding as laid out. However, it made no difference and the "Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened." shows an error "Port xxxxx does not appear to be open."

I tried to set up the Static IP but am not sure what IP to use, there are many, as for the westell there are 2 the modem IP and Server IP. Not sure which of these to use as I am guessing that is the IP to use for all, also making it Static means that all the routers/modems have to have the same IP right? If so how can I access one specific router if when I put in the IP address to access the router I can only access one [no uniqueness].

As for the other thing that is from frustration and not an insult, been doing this for about a week and haven't figured it out yet.....I do like the speed in which you all respond and ty for the efforts.

Turius

Yes, the static IP part is a real pain to explain.

Let's say the Westell's subnet is 192.168.x.x... The Linksys is connected to this subnet. You're going to have to give the Linksys a static IP address on the modem's subnet, so maybe something like 192.168.1.2.

Now, the Linksys also has its own subnet -- let's call it 10.x.x.x... The Netgear is connected to this subnet. You give the Netgear a static IP on the Linksys' subnet, so maybe it ends up being 10.0.0.23.

Now, the Netgear also has its own subnet, maybe 172.16.x.x... Then you have to give your computer a static IP on the Netgear's subnet, so maybe a static IP of 172.16.1.35 or whatever.

This is exactly why I said it's going to be a real pain =T It'd be easier if you could just set the Westell and the Linksys to bridge mode, but there are probably other devices connected in between, so you can't disable the routing capability on either one.

If you're going to bridge anything, it has to be the outer two. Bridging the outer and inner devices makes the inner one is entirely useless as a router (it becomes just a simple switch/hub, or not even that if it doesn't come with multiple Ethernet ports), meaning you might as well not have it connected in the first place. I know the second one is for VOIP, which is the only reason I told you to go through all that forwarding and static IP stuff. I'm not sure what you mean by linking.

Archived