Download speed isn't stable! Help!

DingleBerries

I just recently got utorrent and I love it. It is way better than Azureus and ABC because it does not slow my surfing down when I'm downloading. There is one problem though. Whenever I'm downloading something, the speed is never stable. I have DSL and I set everything up with the setup guide on the site. I am not getting slow download speeds due to firewall and port forwarding problems, but the speed won't stay still. Everything is set right according to the guide. The global maximum number of connections is 130 and the maximum peers is 70. I set my tcip.sys to 50 using the patcher. My net.max_halfopen is set to 8. DHT is not enabled. Is there anything I can do to fix my speed that is jumping everywhere? My download speed is always going from 30 kb/s to 50 kb/s and then to 100 kb/s and back down to 50 kb/s and etc.. It is a very annoying problem. Thanks in advance for any help that is given.

EDIT: My DSL connection is advertised as 1.5 Mbps.

Don't trust it, run the speed tests.

Even 1 speed test can't be accepted as absolute truth.

Everything between you and the test site could conspire against you when you test it, resulting in much lower speed rating that your line is really capable of.

Upload is the most critical, since you probably have far less of it than download.

If you cannot upload to others, who would be willing to upload to you?

• 2 weeks later...

i have the same problem.. my dl speed fails to 0 kbps from 80 - 90 kbps by seconds.. during this my upload speed doesn't change.. sometimes msn ie all my connection lost.. i ping my modem (zoom 5551 x4) when i use utorrent and i see that sometimes for 3 or 4 seconds i cant get a response.. so what can be the problem? this was happened last year and then fixed someway which i dont know.. think about your dl speed first second 90 kb third second 0.1 kb 5th second 72 kb.. it is really annoying.. plz help..

(i have 2048/512 connection)

DingleBerries, try reducing your normal upload speed to 25 KB/sec and see if that helps.

If it does, you can still put in the alternate upload speed while not downloading at 30 KB/sec.

ayheyt, that sort of problem is almost always due to connection overload. You either have half-open connection max in µTorrent set too high (even try lowering it to 4-6 to rule that out), or you are simply allowing too many connections at once. Another likely possibility is your networking software or hardware simply cannot handle UPnP and/or DHT -- if so, they need to be disabled in µTorrent ...or you need to replace (or remove) the unreliable networking software or hardware.

Archived