I'm writing a WebUI-like firefox extension

hiddenriver

I'm having the same problem as about the last 3 users combined!

1. Sidebar UI is completely messed up (can't post a pic, but similar to simonbcn's only the top section is thinner left, and the bottom is thicker right)

2. "Add" options in the sidebar do not work at all.

3. Drag-and-drop onto the indicator in the bottom-right of Firefox does not work, reports "torrent can not be added".

4. "Diagnostics" in the properties lists nothing under "Status", but the server info is correct, and it's correctly updating my speeds/active torrents.

5. Pausing over the indicator quickly flashes my list of torrents but doesn't stay (could be due to sheer number, though).

I've got a whole bunch of torrents on the go (mostly seeding) so I'd much rather not switch to another client on my server, but if this doesn't get fixed, I might have to.

Server OS: Windows Server 2003

Server client: uTorrent 1.8.2

Client OS: Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty

Client browser: Firefox 3.0.8

Client extension version: 0.1.8.2b

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

To reiterate, for those of you having issues like Backdraft originally reported here, please don't blame this extension. The problem lies with WebUI and the way it (badly) handles narrow windows. I've patched it in WebUI v0.362 WIP, and the fix will be included in the next update. It's not yet up as of this writing. (Edit: Uploaded.)

Read the changelog? If it's not listed, it's almost definitely not changed.

None of the things in your first link are relevant to v0.362 WIP. The toolbar issue was fixed, and multi-torrent properties dialog have already been implemented (both mentioned in the changelog). There is no context menu for adding torrents in WebUI, so that must be a bug in the extension.

A context menu fix might've already made its way into v0.362 (by Directrix) before I started working on it, as I don't see the bug on Linux currently. Feel free to try. Either way, I looked at the code, and might've managed to extend the fix to work on Firefox for Mac (see the old Trac ticket from forever ago).

As for the deletion problem, I still can't reproduce the reported bug, so there's almost no way I can fix it. I have no problem removing torrents and still having the UI update.

• 4 weeks later...

I uploaded a version of the extension for Firefox 3.5 to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8168. It hasn't been reviewed yet and it won't appear until that happens, hopefully not a long time. The only change was to flag it as compatible with 3.5. No other bug fixes. I'm still looking for someone to take over development of the extension. Thanks.

I've also had a report of drag and drop not working via email. It seems there is a problem. Unfortunately I can't reproduce it. I'm using Firefox 3.5 myself and drag and drop is working fine for me. I'll need more information to fix it. If you have this problem, please state which operating system you are using and what other extensions you are using. Try temporarily disabling other extensions and if you find one that fixes it report it here. Thanks.

I'm using Windows 7 RC.

It worked in the older Firefox and it also works now when I click the uTorrent extension so it opens a windows to the left in Firefox and I then drag .torrent links over there. However it was a lot easier when you could just drag the links down to the unopened uTorrent extension down in the bottom of Firefox.

My other extensions are: Gmail manager, Google Toolbar, IE Tab and Linky

• 2 weeks later...

i have 2 bugs to submit that are related to each other...

1) i was trying to organize the columns and moved one to the far left (to be first) and it disappeared. i tried removing and replacing that column and that didnt work.

so my next attempt at a fix cause this:

2) i was going to remove all of the columns in hopes that the missing ones would come back, and when i got down to less than the sidebar width they still werent there so i kept removing them. once i removed the final column they all disappeared with no way of getting them back.

i havent tried reinstalling the addon yet, but ive tried closing it, turning off webui, etc.

• 3 months later...

hello there...i have a problem with this extension as far as the user interface is concerned...here is a screenshot that i took to display my problemutorrentfirefoxextensio.jpg

i tried stretching the sidebar to the left even more but that is not possible...anyone has solved such a situation before? thanks in advance and thanks for the great work for this addon...if i manage to make it work properly it will be one of the most useful addons for me...

• 1 year later...

I still have it running!

I added SSL support to the original extension. You can still find it with my mod here:

http://www.phunkyfish.com/article/10/utorrenthttps

Let me know if it works in firefox 4... You might need to play around with the version numbers in the xpi to get it to work (this has always worked for me since firefox 2 all the way through to 3.6.16...)

Strange thing is that some one posted a while back stating they had incorporated my changes into the official version of the plugin and made some other changes. I used to be able to find it on firefox addons but just had a search there and no luck. Great plugin.

Easy method....

1. Find your favourite archiving program.

2. Rename the addon.xpi file to addon.zip

3. Extract the Archive

4. Open the folder and load the install.rdf file into your favourite text editor.

5. Change the Maxversion to the value required

6. Save the file.

7. Repack the Archive as a zip

8. Change the filename to addon.xpi

That message would usually indicate that the install.rdf format was not compatible with Firefox 4.0 and so the extension couldn't even be installed. I didn't look at it to check, but there were a number of changes to requirements for install.rdf and chrome.manifest. Combined with quite a lot of element name changes, most extensions need some sort of tweaking to work in 4.0.

Ok, do we have any volunteers to upgrade the addon?

Anyone with addon experience should fly through this fairly quickly.

In the meantime check out this mozilla addon, it allows you to enable disabled addons to see if they work. For this to work you will need to install firefox 3, install the utorrent addon and then upgrade to firefox 4.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/

This will at least tell us if the addon is still compatible. If we get it working I'll resubmit it to the firefox addons site so the whole world can use it...

P.S. I'm not on firefox 4 yet, I won't be upgrading for a few weeks yet as I'm waiting for several other addons I use to be upgraded before I make the move to 4.

Archived