I'm writing a WebUI-like firefox extension

hiddenriver

I'm the author of this extension. It hasn't gotten any love for months now because I'm working on other projects. I need someone to take over. I can continue to host it or we can move it some place else. If you're interested let me know. I'm not going to give this to just anyone. I want someone who will maintain it and keep it working with the latest versions of Firefox. I want all the bugs that people have reported fixed. And I want some awesome new features! Email telling me what you plan to do with it and a point me at something that demonstrates your competence with javascript / xul. Contact details on the web site (http://thinkpond.org).

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried installing this on my macbook, and the extension doesn't seem to work. I have webUI running on a Vista computer well, and I can access it from various mtorrent UIs and the web interface, however I can't get the extension to work.

Is this only for Windows computers?

update: ok, so it appears to be working- i had to check and uncheck https for it to run.. but i'm still unable to get a torrent automatically sent to the utorrent server from my mac.. any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks!

I'd be glad to take over and host the extension, but I fear with all the other projects I have on at the minute, I wouldn't have the time to do it justice. A feature I'd really like to implement is an "add torrent and set label to..." option, to save me going into the WebUI every time I add a torrent, might be nice in the Firefox context menu...

There's must be some budding young developer out there to take over this wonderful little extension...

Anyway, cheers hiddenriver for the excellent little extension!

P.

Well, I took on some initiative and took this for a spin, made it FireFox3 compatible, but that wasn't too hard, just needed to change the manifest. At least it should be, it works on my Mac and my PC as well. I also always wanted the ability to add torrents from the Context menu, so made it possible to "Add by File" and "Add by Link", since when I'm at school, my school filters out the .torrent files, so I usually either use remote desktop or by link. Anyways, i haven't added a cookie option for the link one yet, but that may be planned.

oh, can't add set label, since there is no web command for that as of yet...

anyways here it is download it from my site

http://blog.kamia.us/?p=17

... If the tracker requires information, you are probably referring to :COOKIE: information

uT handles this fine (in the client at least, there's an ongoing doubt whether it works in WebUI in my mind)... remember the client IS the WebUI. If you just want to send the torrent... you should be able to use the torrent application in the sticky.

Kamia,

It's strange you can't change the label using the context menu. Is the problem more you can't add the torrent and set the label at the same time or is it something else, cause you can change the label within the WebUI?

Cheers,

P.

P.S. Nice work...

Yes,

I know you can set label within webui but there is no address bar command for it. As there is no HTTP command for it. So there is no way to do it externally, at least none that I have found so far. Unless the next release of WebUI has the ability to do the flash and action command on the label, then it would be very difficult to do. Also, when you are passing the torrent file into the web UI, it will be difficult to find the hash of the torrent, since some torrents are named differently from what they display up as in the names place so you would need to create some sort of a smart way to figure out what the hash is of that point you want to set the label to. At least that's what I think. It all really depends on what the dev team does with the webUI interface, as of right now.

great update!

one thing i noticed on FF3 RC3 on OSX is that when the preferences window is opened, there is no way to close it, no traffic lights on top of the window and no close button..

yea, i just noticed that, well i usually always close the windows with the apple-W key, so I just never thought about that. As for the windows, i'll have to check into that, but I don't usually run windows so I don't know. However, it "should" work

also, i just had to do a complete wipe of firefox. so i've reinstalled all of my extensions, including this one.. and i entered in my settings.. but now everytime i start up firefox, it asks me to authenticate and enter my login details again, even though they have been saved in the password manager, and are already entered in the boxes beforehand! i've tried deleting the password manager, and reinstalling the extension and it keeps coming up..

also, if i try to hit "cancel" when the login window comes up, it just loops back to the login window..

any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks .

yes, using it on mac osx 10.5.3. I have the 1password extension installed, and the new version expired my license so anytime I'd start up the browser, a popup would come up from 1password asking me to register. This combined with the login pop up from firefox caused high cpu load, and could only be force quitted- not sure if it's the fault of 1password..

regardless, i used to be able to just load firefox and the utorrent extension would automatically login.. maybe i had some hack working to get around the login each time- perhaps in the next version, automatic login could be an option..

Archived