I'm writing a WebUI-like firefox extension

hiddenriver

Yes to Lord Alderaan

and here is a new version of it (maybe I should start a new thread, so I can just edit the OP)

Ok, so I added another version tracking, it's because I made a 0.1.8 for myself to test around for a while. Anyways…

Release Notes:

-Added "Add torrent with Label", the feature that Phunkyfish wanted

-Added Status

-Fixed OS X not having Traffic buttons

-Overhaul of Code

-New Options

get it from

http://blog.kamia.us/?p=24

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot for the update.

Is there any way to incorporate automatic login? In OSX I'm experiencing an error when Firefox loads and the window is not in focus- I have to click the desktop, then the firefox window a few times for the login window to appear. While it is "lost" CPU load is at 100%. If I wait too long to bring Firefox back into focus, the cpu load is so high that nothing can be done, including force quitting, and I have to reboot. I'm not sure if this also happens for Windows users.

Also- You should change the "home page" option, as it still redirects to the original author's page.

Thanks again for your work on this!

Maybe in the future, growl/system notifications can be incorporated when a file completes?

Okay I haven't checked this thread in a while. I'll integrate kamia's changes and put a new release on thinkpond.org. I promise! I'm still looking for someone to volunteer to take over the project. As you can probably all tell, it isn't one of my priorities at the moment.

Hi, I have the same problem like beserk1 in this thread at page 3. There seems to be no solution to this. Or i overread it. The problem was that the dl/ul does not show in the status bar, just a utorrent text.

Another problem is, that the webUi gui does not look like it should

webuiaw7.th.jpg

it workes like 1 restart of firefox and looked alot like the real utorrent interface but now it looks like on the picture above. In the down right corner you see the uTorrent button instead of the dl/ul.

Hope u can help. I got FF3, webUI newest beta, and extension 0.1.8.2b

I don't know, I've seen this problem with myself sometimes, one thing to check is make sure the update interval isn't too small, sometimes your server may not respond fast enough to calls and therefore turn up bogus stuff. Also please check your diagnostic tab, and make sure the last update time is close to an approximate date. Make sure that you can see webUI outside of the sidebar, as it shouldn't affect anything from there, because it basically just loads it up as a website. Also maybe there are some plugins you have that may be causing you some errors.

@shockme

I can't reproduce the error on my Mac at all, it maybe some plugins, maybe 1Password or something. Try to isolate the problem by disabling some of your extensions or such. It works just fine on my OS X machine.

• 2 weeks later...

hi. I understand the original author lacks the time to maintain/update this firefox addon. would he, however, be able to make an official addons.mozilla.org account so as to make this addon more visible to the general firefox user base? perhaps one of the assistant developers could do it? this addon cannot be found through a mozilla firefox addons search from mozilla's site.

Well I registered it at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8168 but it isn't showing up on the site search yet. Maybe it needs to be indexed or reviewed or something. Anyway, when it does get properly listed, don't forget to nominate it! :)

Edit: added the full url

Follow up:

Alright the WebUI firefox extension is showing up in search results at addons.mozilla.org now. Thanks for the suggestion b033b! To make it show up as a "public" addon I have to nominate it for review and I can't do that until it has received feedback and reviews from some users. From the mozilla addon web site:

"An add-on currently in the sandbox may be nominated to be a part of the public site and available to all users after undergoing review by an editor. For best results, please note the following:

* Preview images are required for themes and highly recommended for all other add-on types.

* The add-on should have spent enough time in the sandbox to accumulate reviews and feedback from users. Reviews are required to become public.

* Public add-ons have a higher quality bar than sandbox add-ons and should enhance the web.

* Full nomination criteria is available in the Add-on Policy.

If your add-on meets the above criteria, you can nominate it by completing the field below. You will be notified via e-mail about the status of your nomination.

To nominate your add-on, please describe how it has been tested (including that it is free of errors and warnings) and how it is useful to the wider web. You may also include links to external reviews of your add-on."

So if you want the WebUI firefox extensions to be properly listed, go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8168 , rate it and write a review!

Thanks

Edit: fixed the url typo noted by phunkyfish in the post below.

Hi,

Great Add-on!!!

I am having a problem with the interface in the lower-right corner of the screen.

I can see the stats (DL & UL) fine but when I hover over that area of the status bar the information box that is supposed to appear only flickers on the screen and then disappears. Therefore, I am not able to few the details of my torrents.

I am running:

Firefox 3.0.1

uTorrent add-on 0.1.8.2b

and have: All-in-One Sidebar and Cooliris in addition to this add-on.

Any idea what I could do to fix this?

Let me know if you need additional information.

Slight issue with the "Add Torrent by URL" feature in the context menu. I seem to be able to add one torrent using this method but if I any more than one they fail to register. However I can drag further URLs to the status bar and it works as expected but then I can't set the label without opening up the WebUI.

A little puzzle for you Kamia!

:)

@Agent205: Never seemed to have that problem before, I'll look into that when I have more time towards the end of August. I'm guessing it may have something to do with your update interval, or something of that sort, because I know it disappears after a while for me as well. I really don't have time until I finish up my test studying, but afterward I'll sit down and work on it for a while.

@phunkyfish: that seems strange, for me I can add as many by URL under different labels... are you sure it's not by file? I can see why that would happen if the extension can't write enough post request that some of your things would be lost. Maybe you are hitting the URL too many times too fast and the server can't process the requests and some are lost. However, that shouldn't happen since the functions and called individually, and usually wait for server responses. I'll look into that as well. But its going to have to wait towards the end of August...

Please if you anybody else can test the multiple URL bug, I would love bug feedback, as usually it works for me for my casual use of torrenting. Also, I can't download torrent files from my ISP, it blocks all *.torrent files and x-bittorrent registrations. Anyways I should restart working on this towards end of August.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey,

First, thanks for writing this awesome extension.

Anyways, I am having trouble getting the latest version to display correctly with latest version of FF3, as evidenced by this image:

utorrentwebuipx2.th.jpg

The extension worked fine in FF2. Someone named Ultima said in this thread that it had to do with the HTML coding. I was hoping someone could provide an alternative solution or figure out what is going on here.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

gibbz, the reason the webui appears in the sidebar is because a common use case is to have the web page containing the torrent links on one side of the browser and the utorrent sidebar on the other. At least that was the way I envisioned people using it. It would be possible to add a feature to conveniently open the webui in the main window. I don't have time to do it. If anyone would like to volunteer I will happily integrate their code, add their name to the credits and release a new version. The workaround is, as Ultima said, to setup a bookmark for the webui. Everything should work. Drop a torrent in the status bar and it will appear in the webui, whether it is running in the sidebar or from a bookmark in the main window. Sorry you think its crappy :)

Another request. Would someone who knows how to please bump the Firefox version number and test the extension in Firefox 3.1. In fact I'm sure some knowledgeable folk have done it already. It's still in beta but I'm sure some people would appreciate it. I'll integrate any necessary fixes and add you to the credits once all the features are tested.

Thanks

the author

• 5 weeks later...

I am having the same problem as Agent205:

"I am having a problem with the interface in the lower-right corner of the screen.

I can see the stats (DL & UL) fine but when I hover over that area of the status bar the information box that is supposed to appear only flickers on the screen and then disappears. Therefore, I am not able to few the details of my torrents.

I am running:

Firefox 3.0.1

uTorrent add-on 0.1.8.2b"

The only difference is that I am running Firefox 3.0.5

I havent changed any Firefox settings that I know of to make it do this, I have tried changing the extensions refresh rates with no success as well.

I had my friend install this extension on his Firefox 3.0.5 and the hover works fine.

Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

Hi, Im using firefox 3.1 beta 3, I have tested the extension (1.8.2b).

1. Pulling a torrent link onto the status bar opens a regular firefox download window - doesnt add it to utorrent.

2. The sidebar is messed up as in previous firefox versions.

Other than that, I didnt discover other issues.

I would appreciate a fix for them. thanks!

Same problem with aspect in sidebar:

th_screenshot_001.png

Firefox 3.0.8 / Ubuntu Jaunty / µTorrent 1.8.2.

Other problem is the options in context menu: "Add torrent by URL" and "Add torrent by File", none works.

I've tried it with torrents links like:

http://www.tracker1.com/descargar.php?torrent=4077

http://www.tracker2.org/download.php?id=17031&name=Lo%20Mejor%20Del%20Mes%20De%20Abril%20de%202009.torrent

http://bt.tracker3.es/download.php/18833/El%20secreto%20Dvd5.torrent

It is a shame that they do not work because really the idea is very good and they me would be OK.

Other error:

I select several torrents and, in the properties window of the torrent, change the speed and/or ratio, I press Ok, but these settings only there is assigned the torrent on which I press the right button of the mouse.

Archived