uTorrent(1.6) occupies place for started torrent files

3Ton

AKA not to lose allready downloaded data when going from allocated to sparse files.

I allready had 5 GB downloaded with eDonkey2000(R.I.P. :( ) before i switched to uTorrent.

eD2k didn't have pre-allocation, so it was a surprise for me.

I don't think going from allocated to sparse kills any data, but I could very-well be wrong, as I don't mess with those settings. You can always try downloading a relatively small file -- OpenOffice.org maybe -- with preallocation enabled and sparse files disabled, then stop mid-way (when it's already been allocated), then change the settings to find out.

Changing to sparse doesn't work on files started with allocation. The problem is that under uTorrent the files ask for 15 GB, which I don't have, so they all stop downloading. Is there an operation, that changes allocated files into sparse files?

Excuse me. I was wrong about

Changing to sparse doesn't work on files started with allocation.

My files stopped expanding in "Size on Disc" while continuing to download. It could be used as a method for partial allocation.. a midway between allocated and sparse files: The earliest avaliable files are allocated until the disc is full, then switched to sparse and freed some space on the disc to continue with sparse..

Ah what the hell, I'll just remove half the torrents and continue with allocation. :)

Thanx for the help!

Archived