Forum organization?

ludde

I like the Wiki idea. Look at Shareaza, it's got thousands of people who joined their forums just to ask questions. A wiki quickly found its place and answered alot of questions. I use Wikipedia and add to it occasionally.

This is kinda off topic, but why did you guys go with PunBB? IPB and phpBB are my favorites.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

With the server's constant load problems, I'd take a lighter board over a bloated one, even if it sacrifices some features. As an alternative (and while it might not be very good, and you probably know this already), you can always display as posts rather than topic.

Also, I find that PunBB's search facility is (generally) much more accurate and faster than most other board softwares' search facilities =T

first off, I got to tell you as completely new one to utorrent and also completely new to torrents as such that your guides or faqs are sorely inadequate, they should be written by pple who just cut their teeth with torrent thing, not by experts who no longer remember how it was when they started or who have been with the idea from begining and grew with it

I heard about torrents all these years but didn't pay much attention to it in any practical hands on fashion, so when I installed utorrent, I was looking at it and didn't know how to do anything with it LOL, went to your faq and that didn't help much how to start to download something, I looked at those menu commands 'add torrent', 'create torrent' etc but how the hell was I to know what to write in those dialogs, I am normally fairly familiar with most stuff on web, I run my own servers, web, ftp, make my own websites etc, so I don't think I am any bozo who kickstarts internet first time, installs torrent app and doesn't know what to do and goes to ask on forum

basically your faqs and all self help available is more or less geared to those who already ran some other torrent client(s) and who for some reason switched to utorrent but what about those who only heard about the general idea of torrent sharing? I tell you its struggle and I got through it in couple days on my own simply by trial and error leaning heavily on all my knowledge of internet workings

I was tempted to ask on forum here but I noticed some irate attitude of residents LOL and didn't ask in the end

I've been on various forums for yrs and all I can tell you is to bypass posts by obvious noobs who ask same thing time and again and let them be delt with by those relatively recent noobs for whom that won't be boring repetetive thing yet and step in only when the querry merrits your expertise, btw major reason why pple ask what they could look up in some manual is the socializing factor and that's what internet is about, they like to comunicate with pple, not read searched matterial or manuals which are really only usefull after you get by the intial difficulties somehow and when you can actually grasp what is said in them and also to fill in gaps you have (your faq is good for that but it is too dry read to start with it, for that you need manual that would give you very basics and do that on some practical examples, like leading you through downloading your first torrent and making your own etc)

second, forget about forum being some more or less ordered and structured repository of wisdom, if you want to get isolated from new pple and natural forum anarchy, make another forum section where only oldtimers will have write access and us plebs just read access and you can banish those who would misbehave on that section of forum (criteria for admission would be the length of time of posting here, not number of posts, you might also invite some pple earlier if you think their posting record warrants it)

else make your own closed 'customer' development support grp with its own forum (read accessible to public) like many companies have for testing their stuff and trashing out ideas but I know these are too heretic words to even post on forum like this one LOL

vanDivX

just a quick thanks...:) .. Im new to the world or torrent files,, i know don't laugh........ but i would like to say thanks for u-torrent I'v downloades a few of the other ones and i really think your is the best one out theere very user friendly, and easy to understand... even for a first timer...........

rob

Archived