"There is Not Enough Free Space on the Disk" Issues

cpuwhiz11

Now before you grown and tell me to look at the faq, Let me say that I did and the file I am trying to download is under 4 gb. Now to my problem, ever since a few days ago Utorrent had been working fine, this problem arose when I added a new torrent and I got a "There is Not Enough Free Space on the Disk" error. Now I know I have enough free space, and the file I am downloading is under 4 gb so what gives. All my other torrents work fine, but any new torrents I add I get the same "There is Not Enough Free Space on the Disk". I am trying to download this file to an external HD which is Fat32, do you think if I convert it NTFS I might fix the problem, and if so will I lose any data ? Also do you thin this could be a computer issue or mabye my HD is broken some how. Any comments (especially awnsers) would be most appreciated.

You might find that the amounts set aside for the recycle bin and/or system restore are causing the problem.

If you have an 80G external drive, 8G is eaten up on that drive simply by the recycle bin (at default settings), even though the space is technically free.

Seems I have alleviated the problem somewhat, I deleted some files and now it is downloading fine, The question remains though why did it say I havd 27.1 gb left and yet wouldn't download. Do you think its because of Fat32 ? I did change the recyclying bins proporties so it took up no space as well.

Tough to say because you deleted some files and reduced the size of the recycle bin.

However 27G would be about right for a default recycle bin size on a drive that big.

You can convert a FAT32 drive to NTFS without data loss though.

CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS from an XP command prompt will do the job. You will be required to reboot to complete the conversion.

One word of advice though. If your power fails while the system is doing the conversion, you're most likely screwed.

Archived