uTorrent Statistics

Eagle784

Hmm, apparently I'm not being clear. This guy wants me to invite him to a private tracker, but I want to make sure he'll maintain a good ratio. He doesn't have membership in any other private trackers, he says the only proof he has are his utorrent stats. All I'm asking is whether or not he could have easily forged this. Thanks.

Oookay, here we go. It's not that easy to modify the µTorrent stats inside the program. Like any program, it is possible. However, µTorrent is a PECompacted executable. Meaning, when I go to disassemble or hook a debugger on to it, my life is going to be a fair bit harder. Next step up is using either a debugger to directly inject values into memory or finding a bug in the program to exploit and attach your own code.

The reality of this (and why no one modifies the µTorrent client itself) is that it's not easy at all and requires a lot of specialized skills.

Some people have them, most people don't.

My suggestion would be to take the guy on right now; if anything suspicious happens (leaked torrents, hit and run), dump him.

And of course there is photoshop. Or pretty much any other medium he is using to get the stats to you is susceptable to editing.

It all comes down to trust. In general you should only invite people you trust to a private tracker because in most the admins can see who invited who and can judge you by the people you invite.

Archived