µTorrent/WebUI Python 2.5 Module (ALPHA!)

weilawei

This is the first ALPHA release of uTorrent.py and ut2il.

Right now, uTorrent.py has support for most of what you can do in the WebUI. Note, this is not an interface—it's an API. I'm probably missing some features here and there, but I think it's useful enough at this point to code an application around it.

I merged all the utility scripts into a single script, ut2il. Run `ut2il.py -h` for a summary. You can set your variables internally to avoid specifying them at the console each time.

uTorrent.py version 0.1.1-3 ALPHA

From the README:

README

Everything in here is:

Copyright © 2006 Rob Crowther <weilawei@gmail.com>

This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify

it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as

published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the

License, or (at your option) any later version.

This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but

WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of

MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU

Lesser General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public

License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software

Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA

Read LICENSE for more details.

uTorrent.py and associated modules/tools are developed with:

* Windows XP Professional SP2

* Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit

(Intel)] on win32

* simplejson Python module (included)

* µTorrent 1.6.1 BETA (build 483) w/ WebUI v0.310b2

CAVEATS:

* When you run uTorrent.py or associated files, you must be *in*

their directory. (The logger doesn't like it otherwise.)

* This should be self-explanatory but the WebUI has to be

enabled.

THERE IS NO DOCUMENTATION AT THIS TIME

(beyond source code and a few scattered comments)

For starters, try running `ut2il.py -h`

If you find any bugs, please report them on the µTorrent forums at

http://forum.utorrent.com/

That's all, good luck, much µTorrentness to you!

- Rob Crowther <weilawei@gmail.com>

There's plenty coming in the next few days/weeks; stay tuned, report bugs, write code and request features right here in this very thread.

Apologies for any delays right now. I just moved and I'm behind *three* firewalls. (Curses to the man who set up this network.) I haven't got everything configured yet to continue working. Hopefully, that'll be resolved in the next few days. If anyone's looked at it or using it, I'd appreciate dropping a line or comment my way. Good luck!

November 22 - I just replaced simplejson's scanner.py with the Django version. This gets rid of the deprecation warning sre was tossing up. No changes to the uTorrent.py module itself.

• 2 months later...

It really needs more abstraction and object orientation. It's still pretty rough and not particularly pleasant to use. I find the directory constraint imposed by the logging feature particularly annoying. I really do appreciate the effort you have put into it though.

I've been writing my own simple Python scripts to interface with the web ui and being able to use what you have written as a reference has saved me some time by reducing the amount of reverse engineering I have to do myself. I want to be able to change the max download speed with my scripts, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. Do you happen to know if it is possible, and if so, how to do it?

Also, as long as I'm asking you questions... what does the UT_TORRENT_STAT_P1000_DONE attribute contain? I can't seem to figure out what that one is for.

If you are curious about what I'm doing with Python/uTorrent, you can read about my first small project here.

Thanks!

I want to be able to change the max download speed with my scripts, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. Do you happen to know if it is possible, and if so, how to do it?

I just figured out how to do this: gui/?action=setsetting&s=max_dl_rate&v=100

The latest version of the Firebug plug-in for Firefox is making reverse engineering much, much, much easier. If the uTorrent developers don't publish API documentation soon, we should collaborate and use a wiki somewhere to publish the parts that we have figured out. I'd like to see more developers working with this stuff.

• 1 month later...

Archived