Question

HoochieMamma

Well after using uTorrent (and liking it very much) and being so suprised at it's ~100KB size. It begs the question that there must so many programs that should be no where near the size they are. I can't really think of anything currently but I really look at programs closely now becuase of this great little proggie.

Does anyone else think about this?

Yeah, ludde and Vurlix have done an amazing job here. I'm seeing lots of programs that could so easily be far smaller than they are, particularly in the open source world (unfortunately). Efficient coding seems to count for a lot here :)

If they don't mind answering, ludde and Vurlix - what techniques do you use to keep the executable so small?

It's quite simple, really. Just don't use other people's sloppy libraries :) This includes crap like C++ Standard Library, Boost Library, MFC. If you're really up to it, you can even remove the C Run Time. At that point, it's similar to programming in a high level assembler language.

Me, and probably ludde too, are always looking for new challenges -- doing what has been done before, better, faster, smaller.

Well after using uTorrent (and liking it very much) and being so suprised at it's ~100KB size. It begs the question that there must so many programs that should be no where near the size they are. I can't really think of anything currently but I really look at programs closely now becuase of this great little proggie.

Does anyone else think about this?

Yes, for a long time I thought the art of making efficient use of resources was lost...thank God µTorrent brought it back. 8)

Regarding many programs that shouldn't be their size...think about an office suite. So many useless features...there's of course the ultra-lightweight category, like Notepad 2, but when you want formatting etc. there aren't many good choices. Even OpenOffice.org's codebase is bloated...something I didn't expect from an Open Source project. At least KOffice is around, but only for Linux users. So that's just one thing. I'm sure others will fill me in with many more programs that need a lightweight alternative. :)

Yes, for a long time I thought the art of making efficient use of resources was lost...thank God µTorrent brought it back. 8)

Well, actually, there's quite a lot software out there that's small and efficiently written.

- AV(T) Small CD-Writer instead of Nero and the like

- Easy Message (or Miranda IM, if you need more features), to connect to the major IM networks (AIM, ICQ, MSN, Y!)

- Foxit PDFReader replaces the Acrobat Reader

- EssentialPIM instead of MS Outlook

- TextMaker/PlanMaker (buyware, though) instead of MS Office / OpenOffice

- Spread32 as Excel replacement

And so on...

Porque a velocidade de download é tão lenta? Pois o máximo que consigo é 6KB/s.

Existe alguma configuração para melhorar esta velocidade?

From my poor Spanish I was able to decipher a bit your Portuguese...

"Why is the download speed so slow? Because the maximum I receive is about 6 KB/s. Does there exist some configuration to maximize this speed?"

Yes, but first you need to tell us your if you have a "Network OK" in your status bar (at the bottom of µTorrent). Also, we need to know your total download/upload speed and if you've already portforwarded correctly. :)

Well, actually, there's quite a lot software out there that's small end efficiently written.

- AV(T) Small CD-Writer instead of Nero and the like

- Easy Message (or Miranda IM, if you need more features), to connect to the major IM networks (AIM, ICQ, MSN, Y!)

- Foxit PDFReader replaces the Acrobat Reader

- EssentialPIM instead of MS Outlook

- TextMaker/PlanMaker (buyware, though) instead of MS Office / OpenOffice

- Spread32 as Excel replacement

And so on...

Anyone got a website or something similiar devoted to these types of programs? (I have tinyapps.org already)..

hehe thats one of the ways i have been doing it up until recently. truly excellent program for ppl who want to quickly and easily remove crap from windows. ive recently been doing it the long way so that i can take out everything thats unessential to me. theres an excellent guide on this over at http://www.bold-fortune.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=229.

• 1 month later...

The first thing I thought of when I saw this program was Fabrausch, and their 64kb demos. Absolutely stunning 3D animations, music, and the like, under 64kb. Their big project was a 3D FPS game in 64k (IIRC) but I can't seem to find it on the site.

http://www.farb-rausch.com/ is the site. My favorites are fr-030 (Candytron), fr-040 (4kb C++ intro, with speech synth!), and fr-022 (ein.schlag). :D

And oh yeah, nLite rocks. :D

Archived