small u flag when no upload limit?

tkittich

i have a very high speed connection. often, during seeding, in the peers tab i see many connected peers that have a small 'u' flag and utorrent is not uploading to them. my upload slots are not full and i have no upload limit. is there any reason why utorrent is not uploading to those peers? and is there a way to tell utorrent to upload like crazy? :)

Try using upload speed limits instead. µTorrent may have something hard-coded into it to prevent excessive settings, but once you choose settings it tries to follow them.

Even with a 1 Gbit/sec connection you could try an upload speed of 100000 KB/sec.

Your upload speed may be hard drive speed limited, as most hard drives cannot do random/asynchronous read/writes faster than 20 MB/sec (~20000 KB/sec). Even sequential (end-to-end, uninterrupted) reads for the fastest hard drives has yet to reach 100 MB/sec (~100000 KB/sec).

One way around this is have a huge RAM cache in µTorrent and have the torrents running off different hard drives, so 1 hard drive isn't overworked.

thanks for answering. the small 'u' flag shows up even when upload speed is not so high (less than 1 MB/s) so it shouldn't be the harddisk speed limit. but i'll try setting the upload limit to see if that helps. :)

edit: setting upload limit doesn't help. there're still many peers with the 'u' flag.

Archived