Capped the U/L speed but...

Forceware

Hi all, I searched around this forum but still could not find what I wanted so no choice but to register & post my problems to see what is happening.

I just made a switch from BC 0.70 to uTorrent 1.6 yesterday. Settings all set properly & U/L speed limit was capped to 30KB/s. Now, while downloading or seeding, it seems that my U/L will fluctuate alot. Well...no big deal. But here comes the part. I capped the U/L speed to 30KB/s right? But uTorrent could make it upload at 40 - 70 KB/s... 70KB is way above my ISP plan U/L limit which is 384kb / 8 = 48KB/s

And this problems do slow down my surfing alot. Currently I'm not using any router when this problems occur. May I know what could be the cause of this problem? Even I change the U/L limit to 20KB also still will have the same problem.

I had read your sig & non helps. Even reducing max connections does not help. Reducing max connections reduces my speed & does not helps in my problem so I have switched back to the usual max connections settings.

Ok...Here's the screenshot.

utorrent.jpg

My ISP max U/L speed is 48KB/s.

Yeah, from that screenshot alone, it's blatantly obvious to me that you DIDN'T follow everything in the link in my signature. Otherwise, your settings would NOT be the way they are.

I never get why people *lie* when they ask for help, or if they're not lying, why they don't cooperate or pay more careful attention to the details and instructions/suggestions presented to them (which in turn only makes them look like they're lying, or aren't interested in the help).

While we're talking about needing to learn how to read, what happened to all the information asked of you at the bottom of that thread? Additionally, *nowhere* did we say to revert to your previous settings. Even if you've tried everything, we're still expecting that you reply with everything left as suggested, *no* backtracking until we say so. Otherwise, you get the response that I gave you earlier -- you aren't cooperating with us.

Edit: And once again, if you read my previous post a bit more carefully, you'd notice that I did NOT say that you lied. I said it's possible you did, or that you didn't follow through with our instructions.

Guess I should not come and seek help in here instead since someone thinks that providing computer hardware information helps. If you notice I said no router used. Telling you of what ISP I'm using is senseless. Different country, different ISP. Got it? Software conflict? Oh well, if you even know what's tried your fabulous ways in your sig. And last but not least, if you can't think of a resolution, jolly well keep quiet instead of making so much noise and acting as if you are a big shot. And yes, I appreciate your " kindness ". But you do not what is happening. :)

Edit : Oh by the way, the current settings was applied similar to my old BC & had no such problems. Just wondering what's the possibilities.

Oh so I guess that just because you're in a different country, NOTHING else listed here applies to you. Or that you've no modem (which I specifically asked for a model of). If you're not cooperating (yes, you aren't), then I can't help you anyway, so whatever. Good luck. I'm done with people who ask for help but don't accomodate themselves to the help.

How come is it in your screenshot that your upload speeds are showing WAY beyond your settings?

...well I guess that's your problem.

Stranger still, at the bottom it says uploading at 50 KB/sec, yet 1 torrent shows uploading at 64 KB/sec by itself!

Ok, the only thing I can figure is you set individual torrent speeds and for whatever the reason µTorrent is using the individual torrent speed limits and ignoring your global maximums...which are lower! Are you absolutely sure those torrents weren't force-started (which might override speed limits)?

You've got your upload slots and max active torrents set almost a magnitude too high for your connection. That will certainly hurt long-term results on marginal torrents.

Ok! I'm back from work & I guess this time I'm gonna give a more detailed information to further diagnose my problems.

First, I shall state my computer specs.

O/S : WinXP Pro SP2 ( With all latest updates )

S/S : McAfee 2006 ( Updated daily ) ( Includes McAfee Security Centre & Virus Scan v10. ) + Spybot S&D.

Internet : Connecting via ethernet ( Straight ) cable to the Motorola Surfboard 5100 & directly from the cable modem to the cable point.

Download speed tests are not necessary I suppose as I'm not dealing with slow downloads but weird over limits upload.

Computer Specs :

MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum ( PCB version is 1.0 )

A64 3500+ ( Venice core ) ( No overclocking done )

x 2 512 MB Corsair PC 3200 ( Running dual channel )

MSI NX6800GS 256MB ( No overclocking done )

x 1 80GB Hitachi Deskstar

x 1 160GB Hitachi Deskstar

Creative SB X-FI extreme music

BenQ DW1640

Now, is the above information enough? Oh, lastly, my motherboard has 2 LAN port. 1 Marvel Yukon & 1 Nvidia. I'm using that Nvidia controller to connect to the cable modem.And now...

To Switeck : Well...when I'm using BC, the top & bottom download or upload speeds would not tally too. But BC would not have this over exceed U/L speed problem before. Yes, I'm 100% sure it's not force start. Everytime I download a torrent, I would just open it instead of saving the torrent into my PC and open it and straight let uTorrent start the task. ( Not sure whether this way consider force start. )

To Ultima : No, I does not had that box checked. This problem happens even when not seeding. I would try to search for the screenshots on during downloading.

1 thing that puzzles me : You guys mentioned about setting individual speed. I just found something, In my screenshot, it shows me capping my U/L to 30KB right? But when I right click > properties on any torrent tasks...all values are set at 0 while in options my cap is at 30KB/s. Is this normal?

Went to do some testing on the right click properties and changed the U/L speed limit to 30KB/s but to no avail. Even after press the OK button. :(

sigh.jpg

Please advise! The uTorrent is sucking away my U/L bw & unable to surf smoothly even if I set Global Max Conn all this to 100 etc etc...

Using the SP2 default firewall.

(Again) Stop the torrents, run the Speed Guide, and select xx/384k. Restart your computer and modem, even, just to be sure all connections are severed. Afterwards, start µTorrent and let it run with the settings selected by the Speed Guide for a while. You're connected to WAY too many peers, and once again, as I stated before, my hunch is that this is overhead eating your connection for a midnight snack.

Archived