Lost Files

unclegoob

Hello,

Upon completion of my files the directory that they were supposed to download into is non existant. This seems mainly to happen with .flac file downloads. I am useing the current Ver. of Utorrent and When I check to see what has come down it shows all the files at 100% complete. Where did they go ??? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

The files are not showing up when I browse the directory. The error message is: The path ... does not exist or is not a directory. This is happening about 50% of the time. Utorrent says it has downloaded 100% of all pieces. I have searched and cannot find where they went

I understand what you are saying about the file tab, all the files in that location are showing 100% complete. The problem is utorrent is not creating a destination folder to store the files in. I have tried to manually add the folder but it didnt work.

There are nonstandard characters in some of the downloads that are dissappearing BUT many of the downloads that work have the same symbols, char, etc... ??

The logger shows that the files are being moved to the destination folder from the destination folder ???? I am so confused by this. It also seems to happen to the music I want the most, figures.

Are you using the local hard drive - C:\path\to\file - or are you using a network drive (NAS - Network Addressable Storage)?

If using local drive I would not use any path that goes to "C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents" since if your login data is corrupted you might have problems accessing them. I'd create a "C:\downloads" folder as your default torrent download location.

If you are using a network drive are you using \\server\path\to\folder or have you mapped it to a drive letter such as x:\path\to\file (I've found mapping causes less of a problem.) Also, if you have to login to the network drive, if your OS (WinXP?) is not able to correctly auto login to the drive, you need to make sure you manually login before starting µTorrent or it will give you error messages for your torrents. And if you lose connectivity to the server it might need to login again so when a transfer is done it might fail due to failed access, but still delete the original file/folder after the move. After all it is a "move" and not a "copy".

What happens if you try a Force Re-Check on those 100% completed but failed torrents? Does it go back to 0% or stay at 100%?

Also have you tried NOT using the option to move completed downloads to new location. I move it manually since there could be problems with the data transfer (yes I use a NAS and yes I'm paranoid about losing data - but not too paraniod... I can't afford offsite storage :D ) and I want to verify it transfered successfully.

Ahhh a techy responce. I use a 250 GB external drive. ( $85 at staples.com ). No passwords and I map straight to to it. The option to move files is turned off and they are supposed to be copied directly to the disk, thats why I am comfused. Utorrent shows the detination folder in the general tab, so where is it putting the files that it is downloading.

I think I figured it out. I organize my music with Itunes and the folder that itunes updates from has the torrent download folder in it. Itunes would move the files into its own folder and the download would be lost. Not sure why this happens on files that were at 100% but its a start.

Archived