The computer matters to uTorrent?

RedPenguin

I don't understand this.

I had uTorrent on my Windows 2k machine with 400mhz processor and 384mb RAM.

I had max connections set to 200 and 200 per torrent.

Had PeerGuardian.

Had an up limit of 25kb/s.

Had no down limit.

The downloads would only go to like 150kb/s max. Even though I have 350kb/s. My router and Internet would suffer.

I then moved uTorrent to my Windows XP machine with a 2.4GHZ processor and 1GB of RAM, and with the exact same settings, uTorrent actually downloads faster and the router and Internet is not killed. I actually can allow uTorrent to use even more global connections and it still doesn't kill the router.

What could be the cause of this weird occurance?

Alright this is driving me crazy. I must not be setting something up right.

I have a Network Everywhere NR041 router and a Linksys BEFSR41 router.

I limit uTorrent to either 200 connections, then 100, then 50.

I have a 3mbit or 384 kilobytes down and 320kbit or 40kilobytes up connection so I limit up to 25kbs because I have an IRCd running but with only like 3 users.

Constantly, I only seem to be able to usually get a max of 120-150kb/s. Though sometimes but rarely will I jump to 200. This is even with ubuntu torrents and some other known fast torrents to make sure it isn't the torrents themselves.

It seems that uTorrent will eventually kill my router.

What settings do I need so I can for once not kill my network but kill my DL as in max it out.

Wasn't sure if UnrealIRCd had those.

But even with the IRCd off, DU Meter sweems to always show way more then uTorrent is saying. uTorrent may say 115.11k and 16.3k but DU Meter says like 179k and 21k, why such huge differences when it's only web browsing and uTorrent? Once in a while DU Meter goes a little lower but it's usually higher, even when the web browser isn't browsing at the moment. Is something else stealing my BW?

Do you have DHT enabled in µTorrent? That uses extra bandwidth.

Also, µTorrent's bandwidth indicators don't count overheads.

Transferring a file at 16 KB/sec may take 18 KB/sec of bandwidth.

Plus, µTorrent has lots of crosstalk between seeds+peers about what pieces to send next and where additional sources are. That eats bandwidth too that may not be reflected in µTorrent's bandwidth indictators.

Ok, um. USB hard drive = Bad Idea™. USB2 is pretty nice at burst speeds, but it really can't sustain it. With all the USB peripherals we have these days from webcams, headsets, mice, keyboards, and digital audio players, that USB2 480Mbps (theoretical) bandwidth is taxed heavily, and you aren't ever going to get optimal throughput. It's a lot better to download onto a fixed d rive and then move to the USB drive afterwards.

See if that helps at all.

Yeah that is what I thought. Plus when you download, doesn't the data go to a temp area of the HD then get moved to the USB drive or something? I moved the drive from an external enclosure to the actual computer.

Wow torrents seem to be happy now, the DL speed doesn't seem to be constantly going up and down, up and down, etc. Some torrents are still checking, but individual torrents definatly are going faster. The upload speed reported by DU Meter doesn't seem to go so high every now and then. Torrents also seem to upload better and more peers seem willing to offer some DL speed instead of seeming greedly like they did before. I never realized, how many things impacted speed. It's not like get a faster Internet and you will be the man. You have a hold bunch of factors, router, hd, proc, memory, the list goes one.

Also, now it's like the peers aren't trying to be hogs of the upload speed, instead of my up maxing out like 24/7 before, it's sometimes being lower then the limit.

USB as silverfire mentioned is a SHARED resource, the same way your internet connection is shared by all the computers connected to it. However even more to the point, each additional USB device lowers max that can be reached on any others at least slightly. That is only true about your internet connection if other computers are accessing it, as your router is no doubt many times faster than your internet connection.

Also, what is the maximum number of connections that I should allow? I have the BEFSR41v2 router, not the V4 that dies due to too many connections. Just as a test, I played around and let it do like 1000 connections, and I swear, this router refuses to die, better then my other router, the Network NR041 router, also made by Linksys.

Also is DMZ a really bad option? It seems like even though 7676 is forwarded, I still see some blocks in the access logs of the router. I just remember DMZ always tends to corrupt things.

Also does having a Motorola Surfboard SB4104 have anything to do with speed?

Also, we have our cable split many times. Whatever quality it comes from outside, we have it split 3 times outside, then once it gets to me, it's split again 3 times, with one going to a TV, another going to a TV Tuner card, then the best leg of the splitter going to the modem.

We only have basic cable also.

@RedPenguin: Go to http://192.168.100.1/ and post your signal strengths or signal to noise ratios. They should be in units of dB or dBi.

@RedPenguin (re: lots of stuff affecting speeds): Everything affects everything. Having your cell phone close to your wireless router could screw with both of them too. There's a really good reason why they put that FCC interference disclaimer on every single electronic device.

Downstream Value

Frequency 681000000 Hz Locked

Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB

QAM 256

Network Access Control Object ON

Power Level -8 dBmV

The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

HFC MAC Address 00:04:BD:E3:D5:28

Upstream Value

Channel ID 4

Frequency 31007721 Hz Ranged

Ranging Service ID 77

Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s

Power Level 41 dBmV

Merged double post(s):

How is Cable Internet shared? Alright, my ISP is Atlantic Broadband and I live in Johnstown, PA. So my question is, being that Atlantic Broadband is also in Maryland and Deleware, I believe, would I share bandwidth with only those in my immediate neighboorhood, all in my city, or the entire AtlanticBB network? See I hear that you share with others, but who is normally this "other" when it comes to cable ISPs? I am curious if my speed going constantly up and down over and over is due to just cogestion due to my ISP because some other people claim that this ISP does this, but they said that a while ago and most people I know who have this ISP and can ask, only have thier 320kbit/320kbit service, so they basically always max out. I don't think it's the torrents themselves, HTTP downloads seem like they can't stay at a 100% constant speed either. They may go the Max to like 350 then all the sudden jump back to 200 then go to 350 again.

Also, constantly, our local school district claimed they had a 100megabit connection from this ISP, but even though it was split between 5 different buildings, when almost no one was on, it would pretty much never give more then 350kilobytes/sec. That's way off a 100mbit. They even had fiber from them, but they said it's not dedicated that they have to share with everyone. But at first I thought they meant that share with all fiber customers but now I think they meant share with all customers period.

EDIT by silverfire: The edit function exists for a reason. Double posting instead of editing is negligent and unnecessary.

Archived