What's the difference?

aspenjim

First, I'm a noob to bit torrent's. I did a little experiment and came up with surprising results. I installed utorrent and was looking for a popular music d/l. I have been d/ling for 24 hours and still have a ways to go. Just for fun, I set up a remote desktop connection at my business and just d/led utorrent and got the same music avi d/ling at work. I don't need it in two places. I just wanted to see if I was a peer in the opposite location and expected if I were I would get a quick d/l from my house. I'm using the same ISP in both places. I found that I am a peer in the new work location but I have about 40 other peers and am getting a smoking fast d/l compared to home. At home I have about 12 peers and find my work (static) IP. However, I only am getting a 2-6k d/l from my other location (from myself if that makes sense). My big question, after all of that is why am I getting such a fast d/l with 3 times as many peers at work than at home? I have a 1.5/256 DSL connection in both locations one is dynamic and one is static, both with the same ISP. The only other thing to mention is at home I'm getting slow d/l's on 2 other avi's at the same time.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get faster d/l's, and have proven to mt self there is some difference. Why would there be 40 peers vs 13 at home? How do these torrent programs find peers?

thx

aj

The port on both is 35429 and I've never changed any setting since install. At work I have a commercial router and at home I have a linksys wireless router. Maybe that's the difference, but shouldn't make that big of difference. I will post screenies tomorrow if I can. Just curious about the drastic difference.

Okay... I figured it out by inadvertantly reading the FAQ. I noticed my home setup said something to the effect of NAT error and work said Network OK. Solution..... Setup up DMZ on home router.

Question is.... how did anything get through at home or was it just severely limited?

Thx.

AJ

You can still connect without ports forwarded, but you can't receive any incoming connections. You also can't connect to peers that can't receive incoming connections, so you effectively end up with less peers (on smaller swarms). It's slower without forwarding.

You can still connect without ports forwarded, but you can't receive any incoming connections. You also can't connect to peers that can't receive incoming connections, so you effectively end up with less peers (on smaller swarms). It's slower without forwarding.

Indeed...much, MUCH slower. :!:

/me learned that the hard way...

Archived