another thread about slow speed

dog

hi,

sorry for yet another thread about slow speeds.... but here goes...

i have a 5mbs connection..... max download 600+ kbs, up speed somewhere around 34 kbs.... i have a linksys WRT54GS router....

my speed has never been that impressive but recently its dropped to abysmal speeds.... i very very rarely used to get more than 100kbs, but it would generally be very surprised if i got 50kbs.... now this has dropped to a maximum of about 20 kbs using public trackers...

to try and increase ther speeds i have upgraded the router firmware to Hyperwrt but this, if anything, seems to have slowed things down....

i have a green connection icon and the port test is successful.... i've used both zone alarm and kerio firewalls but this doesn't make any difference (i've tried disabling them)... windows firewall is off (i'm using XP pro).... i've run the speed test and let it set the settings and i've also tried fiddling with the max connections etc but nothing really changed... i tried going thru the setup guide and everything there seems ok.... checked my ISP isn't on the throttling list (i use 012 in israel).... doenloaded the slackware torrent and got 20-30 kbs for most of it and then it shot up to 80 kbs from 80% for a little while before dropping back to 20kbs... tried the zod torrent someone posted somewhere and didn't get much better than 20-30 kbs.....

sorry for the long post :)

anyone have any suggestions for me ?

cheers

dog

Disabling Kerio and Zone Alarm may not remove their DLLs from memory that are possibly causing the crippling effect. Only uninstalling BOTH might. But that is only to be done if your router is ONLY forwarding the 1 port µTorrent uses, otherwise you won't have any protection from unwanted internet traffic. You could reenable Win XP's firewall as well. It's ok for blocking incoming I'm told, but it'll need to be configured.

just to test i tried disabling zone alarm on startup and then restarting the computer... i guess ZA shouldn't be running at all... i also tried disabling the firewall on the router and left that run a while.... no difference in the speeds....

thank you for clarifying that point ultima.... i've uninstalled ZA from that machine though i have left the router firewall on... XP firewall is still disabled....

so far there hasn't been much of a difference with speed..... a private high speed tracker i'm using has speeds up to 50kbs but this is much lower than i know it should..... with the slackware torrent i'm getting about the same..... with torrents from public sites i'm getting less than 10 kbs.....

that was on a different machine....

what happened was i fiddled around so much with trying different firewalls and such i decided to install utorrent on a completely different and freshly reformatted machine and run that as my torrent box.... so this 2nd machine had an installation of the latest ZA pro and thats it (well except for NOD AV and a couple of other things).... now its currently running firewall-less.....

upload speed doesn't seem to be affected... i have a max up of just over 30 kbs and i set the limit to somewhere around 26kbs.... i regularly get this for a single torrent if i'm seeding....

download rarely gets over 20kbs, though with the slackware torrent it did climb to 80kbs eventually, but dropped back to the 20s after a period...

it is possible my isp is throttling, though i havn't found any info about this..... i did see someone had commented in the ISP thread that they definatly don't do it, but maybe their policy has changed recently....

many thanks for your time and patience...

here are my settings :

max up : 22kbs

up slots : 3

connections (per torrent) : 70

connections (global) : 130

max active torrent : 2

max active down : 1

i havn't changed anything on the advanced settings, so net.max_halfopen is set at 8.... i havn't applied the TCP patch to this computer as i've only just reformatted it.... its running XP pro SP2...

thank you again for your effort :)

Have you tried upgrading the firmware for the linksys WRT54GS router?

Even the latest official firmware would probably help if you haven't.

And the custom firmwares out there for that particular model are supposedly really awesome.

Do a couple searches for that router here on this message forum to see what I mean.

If you don't/can't do that, try reducing global connections and connections per torrent to half what they are now.

Archived