Got this Email from my ISP today ... how did this happen? What to do?

Wes

I will paste the email I recieved from my ISP below. How did this happen? What can I do?

Email from ISP:

Dear Subscriber

Cogeco Cable Inc. has received a letter that alleges that activities associated with your Internet service are infringing copyright in certain copyright protected material in which the copyright is owned or exclusively licensed.

Activities that infringe copyright are prohibited under Cogeco's High Speed Internet Service Agreement and Acceptable Use Policy which establish actions Cogeco Cable can take if the situation is not remedied. For more details please refer to section 17 and Schedule A of this Agreement which is available at http://www.cogeco.com/aup

The forwarded email provided at the end of this message indicated the specific details of this alleged activity. If you have any questions or concerns about the statements included in the email below, please contact the complainant directly.

For further information on Canada's copyright regulations visit: http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/new-e.html

For information on disabling upload capabilities on common Peer-To-Peer applications visit: http://home.cogeco.net/p2p

Regards

Cogeco Network Security

http://www.cogeco.com/aup

1-888-558-2233

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

> Hash: SHA1

>

> Entertainment Software Association

> 575 7th Street, NW, Suite 300

> Washington, DC 20004 USA

>

> Attention: Intellectual Property Enforcement

> Telephone: 202-223-2400

> E-mail: esa@copyright-compliance.com

>

> 3 Nov 2006 22:26:17 GMT

>

>

> ISP: Cogeco Cable

> ESA Reference Number: 182-991344

>

>

> Dear Cogeco Cable:

>

> The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) is a trade association

> that represents the intellectual property interests of numerous companies that publish interactive games for video game consoles, personal computers, handheld devices and the Internet in the United States of America, in Canada, and in other countries (collectively referred to as ESA members). ESA is authorized to act on behalf of ESA members whose copyright and other intellectual property rights it believes to be infringed as described h

erein.

>

> ESA is providing this letter of notification to make Cogeco Cable

> aware of material on its network or system that infringes the

> exclusive copyright rights of and is unlawful towards one or more ESA

> members.

>

> ESA members are entitled to the full protection of Canadian

> intellectual property laws, including the Copyright Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. C-42, as amended, in such entertainment software products.

>

> Based on the information at its disposal, ESA has a good faith belief

> that the IP address below infringes the rights of one or more ESA

> members by offering for sale or download unauthorized copies of game

> products protected by copyright, or offering for sale or download

> material that is the subject of infringing activities. The

> copyrighted works that have been infringed include but are not limited

> to:

>

> Title: XXXXX

> Infringement Source: BitTorrent

> Infringement Timestamp: 1 Nov 2006 00:27:29 GMT

> Infringement Last Documented: 1 Nov 2006 00:27:29 GMT Infringer

> Username: Infringing Filename: XXXXXXXXXXX

> Infringing Filesize: 2056600232

> Infringer IP Address: xx.xx.xxx.xx

> Infringer DNS Name: d57-160-26.home.cgocable.net

> Infringing URL:

>

>

> The unauthorized copies of such game product(s) or the material that

> is the subject of infringing activities appears on or is made available through the above-listed IP address. Those items are listed and/or identified thereon by their titles or variations thereof, game-related listings/references/descriptions, or depictions of game-related artwork. Such copies, titles, game-related listings/references/descriptions, depictions, and material that is the subject of infringing activities, are hereinafter r

eferred to as "Infringing Material."

>

> Accordingly, ESA hereby requests Cogeco Cable to immediately do the

> following:

>

> 1. Notify the account holder of the Infringing Material.

> 2. Remove, or disable access to, the Infringing Material detailed above.

> 3. Take appropriate action against the account holder under your Abuse Policy/Terms

> of Service Agreement, including termination of a repeat offender.

>

> Please inform us whether you will remove or disable access to the

> Infringing Material as requested. Cogeco Cable or the account holder

> may contact ESA at the above-listed contact details, with email

> preferred. Please include the above-noted Reference Number in the

> subject line of all email correspondence.

>

> Thank you for your cooperation and prompt response in this matter.

>

> Sincerely,

>

> Intellectual Property Enforcement

> Entertainment Software Association

Thanks for all the help jackass. Clearly I understand what the email MEANS, but I am hoping to find a way to stop this from happening in the future. I have never had this problem before. What did I do differently from the other 300 people who were downloading/uploading the same file - who didn't get shit for it?

I actually do not use anything listed above, or anything that does what they do. I remember reading info about programs like that, but I have also read that you can not stop your ISP from being able to see what you're down/uploading. I was thinking I had to get an IP hiding program, but they slow down your connection so much, and I hear they don't hide anything from your ISP.

I don't know about blocklists either ... i'll have to do some research

What do ipfilter.dat and Peer Guardian 2 do?

So what do you download Lys? You know what, don't even answer that because I already know what you're going to try to tell me, and I don't wanna wate my time reading it. Your just as hypocritical as anyone, so stop trying to kid yourself, cause you're not kidding me or anyone else.

To the USEFUL posters, thank you for the info. I will definately be looking into an IP blocker as well as downloading IP filters.

Boo, great link, thanks a lot for that!!

I don't download anything that can even be misconstrued as copyright infringing through anything other than point-to-point applications. For myself, peer-to-peer downloads are restricted to anything that would benefit from the reduced server load. It's really not that hard to avoid copyright infringing activities.

I'm sorry, I couldn't read much of what you said due to my rediculous level of distraction towards the picture you have. lol Is downloading more of those infringing on any copyright?

Just kidding, but thanks for the info.

@BoundSyco: By point-to-point, I mean FTP, HTTP, XDCC, or other methods in which there is a clearly defined server and a clearly defined client, unlike BitTorrent, which consists of peers that send and receive data.

@winMX_67: PeerGuardian doesn't prevent your IP from being known by the tracker. As long as you're in the swarm, your IP can be found. PG2, IP filters, and things like that only have a calming psychological effect, thinking that you're protected. In reality, if someone wanted to find you, they can still do so.

And btw if you are on Cogeco you are in Canada and I dont remember hearing about people being sued in Canada. As far as I know its legal in Canada until some court thingy makes a big ruling or something. Cogeco is just passing that stuff on to you. Disregard it. You might get your BT uploads throttled tho, if they arent already. BTW I've gotten a couple of those stupid notices too haha :)

However being listed by the tracker doesn't prove anything. They would have to actually download a identifiable part of the material they own from your IP to be able to prove anything. And thats were PeerGuardian comes in. They could still send the email though. Cos the email is a scare tactic anyway.

Anyways, I thought it was prohibited to discuss these kinda things here. If the Original Poster came here looking for help because he wasn't aware of doing anything illegal that would be another case. But he's obviously just looking for help continuing his illegal activities with minimal risk.

Hypocrite or not we should respect the policy of this community.

imho

Archived