Peaks in Bandwidth

ElectricMoon

I'm a relative newbie at using uTorrent and the bittorrent system in general, so this may sound like a simple problem but I'd aprreciate your help...

I notice the when I view my speed at like 5 minute intervals the my speed goes up and down from 0 KB/s up to 50 KB/s. It seems to stay at 0 for like two or three minutes then jumps up to the peak for maybe a minute or so. It never stays at a constant speed. My upload speed does the same. I have set the upload speed correctly and have patched TCPIP.sys to 250 inc. connections. Is this a provider problem or something I can fix? As far as I know my provider doesnt throtle the bandwidth. I have a 512K down connection. I think my up is 128K. I run Win XP SP2. Thanks for your help.

What ISP do you have?

It sounds like possible ISP throttling, but it could just be your upload is something less than 128 kilobit/sec.

Have you tried Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and tried the slower settings of xx/64k and xx/96k?

If speeds stay above 0 for longer, at least it's a start.

I live out in the middle of the country in central Texas, my ISP is my local phone Co-Op, Colorado Valley Telephone Cooperative. I'm sure they probably buy bandwidth from some other big ISP but i don't know who. If I download a big file or anything off the web it's always good, like 50 KB/s steady. I dont know if that means anything or not. I'll try setting the upload speed lower. Let me know if you think of anything else...thanks

Archived