Speed optimizing

importfr87

Can anyone suggest some settings they think would be good for my utorrent? I don't trust the speed guide too much, I've gotten faster downloads to go faster by messing with it, but I also screwed some stuff up. On internet speed tests I usually get download speeds of 5500kb/s and upload speed 520kb/s. I usually only download only 1 or 2 torrents at a time, so yea...

Thanks, let me know if you need more info!

... And um, the Speed Guide *does* provide the optimal settings. Any extra speed you saw was likely due to overhead, not because it's actually faster. Sure, you can modify it beyond the Speed Guide settings, but go too much further and it falls directly into what I described as overhead.

So selecting xx/512k is your best bet.

If anything, the speed guide seems to recommend too many connections for the low-end broadband lines.

Unless you happen to get a (rare) superfast uploading peer/seed, you'll only see marginal download speed improvements if any beyond about 30 connections per torrent. This is because you get most of your download speed from seeds and peers you're also uploading to. And it is generally a BAD thing to have upload slots set too high, so you're likely only uploading to 3-10 people at a time.

About the best you'll get from any program is µTorrent's Speed Guide (CTRL+G).

To beat that significantly, you are probably increasing your download at others' expense...which if very many people do then NOBODY will get decent download speeds. Such sabotage can be worse than a pure leech!

@rexdimos66: This has got to be at least the 4th time I've told you this. I'm not sure how many more times I'm going to have to repeat it to you, but frankly, it's becoming a bore.

@Switeck: Thing is, we've already helped him on several separate threads, and yet, after my telling him that everything's been configured properly, he just won't believe me. I'm not sure he'd believe you either (or anyone for that matter).

It's fine and dandy if you're having a new problem repeatedly, but the point is that you just go around asking for better ways to optimize µTorrent when I've repeatedly told you that everything we told you to do previously is the best you can do. Meaning if you're looking for a way to optimize, SIMPLY look at your old thread. Sorry if I'm looking like an ass right now, but I'm not sure why something such as "optimizing" needs to be asked multiple times when the same answer has been given to you each and every time. Does that not imply that it's about all you can do? If we knew of any better way that guaranteed "optimized" speeds, we would've told you in your PREVIOUS thread, and you'd STILL know where to look for an answer already anyway.

Ok, I misunderstood + misread your questions...and gave a canned response I've used before.

The only "speed optimizers" I put even the tiniest bit of faith in are TCP Optimizer (which you have remember to reduce connections per web server to avoid a meltdown) and the QoS program (forget the name) that Firon has mentioned to keep µTorrent speeds high on a shared connection.

Archived