Illegal in sweden will utorrent continue?

kex

Hi!

I read in the news that a man in sweden has been judged to pay 16.000SEK for downloading and sharing files via a p2p network.

And since utorrent is being developed in sweden, will you discontinue the project now?

I love utorrent the best torrent client ever and now this happend. Shitty :(

Hi!

I read in the news that a man in sweden has been judged to pay 16.000SEK for downloading and sharing files via a p2p network.

And since utorrent is being developed in sweden, will you discontinue the project now?

I love utorrent the best torrent client ever and now this happend. Shitty :(

First I want to point out that i cant speak for the developers but anyway.

P2P software in general isnt illegal in sweden, nor is sharing files via that network. However, sharing copyrighted material without permission is and that is what that guy has been ordered to pay the fine for.

Since much (although less and less is seems) of the BT usage is done by groups of developers for distributing software like different flavours of Linux and Open Office etc there isnt currently any way a Swedish court could judge the developer behind the software or make the sofware itself illegal.

in fact, most filesharers in sweden seems to be rejoicing after this verdict. given that the punishment was a fine, thus setting a prejudice in this type of copyright crimes.

had the verdict been jailtime, the anti-pirate bureu would have been able to get a house warrant upon suspicion and thus force the isp's in sweden to fork out personal data of ip's they suspect, and then barge into those people's homes. as it stands now, the isp's are of no obligation to hand out any information, and as a rule, isp's in sweden won't even pass on notices from the anti-piracy bureu or plaintiffs to their customers.

what is totally whack though, was that part of the evidence that actually caused the verdict was screen dumps!! maybe it's time our judges here where given a free photoshop lesson...

maybe it's time our judges here where given a free photoshop lesson...

Aint that the truth.

And what I don't get about that screendump is.. how did they get it (if it isn't photoshopped or such)? hacked him or what?

wasn't it a screendump of his dc filelist

what is totally whack though, was that part of the evidence that actually caused the verdict was screen dumps!! maybe it's time our judges here where given a free photoshop lesson...

Most likley it was his original confession that they judged after, since the court considered his later statement as made up.

But i guess a screenshot could be considered as evidence as long its authentic, the problem is they are quite easy to forge.. But so is a photograph and a signature on a paper so i guess its a question about how likely it is that the plaintiff actually would benefit of forging the document.

As usual, theese things could be bent anyway you want, but i really hope that he will appeal!

And what I don't get about that screendump is.. how did they get it (if it isn't photoshopped or such)? hacked him or what?

I think the screenshot was taken from DC++ of both his filelist and when downloading the file from him (with his ip visible).

So, forgive me if I misunderstand, he posted a screen dump of his leching/seeding wth his IP and the torent info? How stupid is that... if you d/load copyrighted stuff?!!

No, Antipirat Byrån, an organsation that works for the music and movie industry here in sweden took the screenshot while downloading the file from him and of his filelist (using DC++ and a public hub). Thats why so many people claim that the screenshot easily could have been modified. But since he confessed when the police took him in i guess the court didnt even consider the "evidence" to be fabricated.

Thanks for making it clear :-)

Yeah lets hope he has the money to appeal.

According to his lawyer they will appeal (read that just an hour ago), so we will se how that goes...

And about having the money, in sweden you always have the money to appeal. If you can, you will have to pay a small amount of the costs but if you dont have that kind of money the goverment will cover it.

Actually, that's "Antipiratbyrån" in one word. :P

Anyway, there is nothing either illegal or immoral about Bittorrent. It is a highly useful and efficient way to distribute large files over the Internet.

That some people use it to download copyrighted material that is being shared without permission is another matter altogether.

Would you ban FTP file transfers because some people have FTP sites that distribute copyrighted stuff? Of course not. Same goes for HTTP... and Bittorrent.

PS. Need to have some screendump evidence of your own? Just go to http://rixxon.net/piratbyran/ and enter a name, click the checkboxes and click on the button. :)

Not to mention this shocking evidence about how the head honcho, Pontén, at APB does some "leeching" of his own: http://web.telia.com/~u85322465/apbtankar6ta.png

Archived