Comcast Blows

Crazy Davie

alright so i just called comcast and they told me that users with comcast cant open up static ip addresses unless you have a business account with them. Screw them mother fuckers. Now i have to deal with horrible download speeds and that stupid friggen yellow triangle thats a bitch. IF THERE IS ANYWAY AROUND THIS CRAP OF A ROUTER ouT oF COMCASTS ASSHOLE THEN I"M ALL EARs. Peace.

Thats what I have. A dynamic ip. To clear something up if I may, if you go to cmd prompt and type "ipconfig /all" it will show you a bunch of ip address. Now, I have an ip adress, a subnet mask adress, and a default gateway adress. However, right under those lists a "DHCP" and "DNS" server ip adress which are all 3 including the alternate DNS server the SAME EXACT ADDRESS as my Default gateway. So as i was saying earlier, unless you have a business account with comcast as far as i know, they will not give you access to DNS server you can use to create static ip addresses pretty much neccessary to open and forward ports correctly. Unless you can convince comcast to give you one then your pretty much out of luck boy. Lets not blame comcast tho, there has to be a way.

Screw 'em!

Manually dial in the DNS servers that Comcast is using at this time!

That's pretty much what I did.

Comcast already sent me a letter in the mail saying I was not properly using their dynamic DNS servers by manually setting DNS values on my computers. They also claimed I was emailed in advance before they sent the letter. ...possibly to an email account that I NEVER use that gets mail deleted after 7 days of inactivity by default. So "obviously" I'd read the previous warnings, and the real letter implied it was just the final warning. They said I was subject to likely and sudden internet connectivity loss...as though they were going to disconnect me permanently rather than I would simply need to reconfigure my DNS settings from time to time.

I called them up and made fun of a clueless tech. And got him to agree that there was no solution outside of what I was already doing. ...as long as I accepted any downtimes due to DNS server changes were on my head.

Hasn't happened yet, but if it does ...one 5 min settings change and I'm back in business.

But one thing I made VERY clear in my phone call. I did not like to be threatened (as the letter implied) that I was subject to vague penalties and even outright disconnection of service for not running Comcast software (I won't claim that's adware or spyware...just useless junk) and following their "manditory" install proceedure. I wasn't laughing about that. I'd previously had Comcast techs here on signal-related/line stability problems who've said I sat the network up ok/correctly.

• 2 years later...

I apologize... but some of you are really clueless (as far as the main topic of the thread)

ok, your router has an ip address assigned to it, buy your cable modem that is your external ip address (your router, as in the thing that your cable modem connects to, that your computer connects to physically) and your computer has an internal ip address, or a LAN ip address which is assigned to it by your router, and the router itself has an internal ip address for you to connect to, to modify setting and whatnot, when on your network...

so, what you need to do, is connect to your ROUTERS internal/lan ip address (usually 192.168.1.1) type in the defual username/password (for linksys its usually blank username with "admin" as the password) then go to the port forwarding section, and forward the appropriate ports...

you don't need to worry about static ip or dynamic ip, you don't need to worry about dns servers.... all you need to worry about is your routers ip, and what ports you forward..

omg /fail on me... sorry... this was one of the first google results with utorrent + comcast as a search >.<

and someone had already posted the portforward link, but people were still having issues... figured I'd explain it in the thread for them ...

again, srry, I failed... lol..

in your case, what you had said in here was correct... wasn't aimed at everyone, wasn't aimed at one person, so I said some, I apologize if I came off as an ahole... I was tired.. but at the same time, it did seem silly that people were blaming comcast for the yellow triangle, when it was clearly a port forwarding issue, so it was mainly Crazy Dave or w/e that it was aimed at... and the people who blindly agree'd with him...

I'd say most of the issues people think they have with comcast, is their own configurations fault.. not comcast... be it the router, or windows or the torrent client itself.. being improperly configured, but then people blame comcast as they have been a target because of the whole sandvine throttling thing.. I haven't had any issues with my comcast and downloading for quite some time... then again, I don't use a router, and when I did, I know how to forward ports...

again, sorry to offend...

Sandvine disrupts SEEDING connections. Downloading is often allowed, at least at a higher amount.

I've got a couple screenshots of losing every connection for 2 hours STRAIGHT.

Getting a decent ratio on a private tracker/torrent...or just trying to upload YOUR torrent to some friends...ComCast has made difficult.

... some of you are really clueless (as far as the main topic of the thread)

you don't need to worry about static ip or dynamic ip, you don't need to worry about dns servers.... all you need to worry about is your routers ip, and what ports you forward..

You do need a static LAN IP for port forwarding to work properly in most Linksys routers (and really, in plenty of other routers as well). The affected routers ignore port forwards to IPs within their DHCP range because they assume that any IP within that range is dynamic (that is where the D comes from in DHCP). As such, forwarding to a dynamic IP is like trying to shoot a moving target. Rightfully so, the routers choose only to statically forward ports to a static IP that's outside of the DHCP range.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to torrents but not to computers. Using utorrent and OMG yes, comcast 100.Mbps service.

I understand that Comcast prevents seeding sometimes, someplaces. What I am trying to do is confirm if that is the case or if I have a setting incorrect.

When I try to seed the seed lines get's a ballon when I mouse over it:

"No Connection Could Be Made Because The Target Machine Actively Refused It"

So I'm not sure what this means. Do I have a setting incorrect or have I been comcasted?

Archived