Number of connections...

Guest torente

Guest torente

Does it exist some rule about "Global max number of connections" and "max number of conneced peer per torrent"? What's mutually between these two options? I dont know which numbers i have to put for these 2 options and do i have to change that sometimes (a.g. if torrent file has a lot of peers and seeders or if has few seeders and 30,40peers)?

I used program to get 50 half open connections, utorrent shows me network is ok (it's green).

I tried to configre utorrent on my own but i doesn't work properly...

I am downloading some torrent and i have 10-19(from time to time right now is 19) of 35 seeders( 5 in swarm- i dont know what is swarm is that important?) for about 30-35 peers of 121 connected (27 in swarm) and it's downloading for about 15-33KB/s ( i watch into netlimeter how it works). It has to be about 50KB/s...

My connection is ADSL 512kbps/128kps, i have usb Asus modem aaam60000ug.

The slower the connection, the less need there is for a high half-open connection limit. Plus, if you are limiting global connections to well below 100, then a high half-open connection limit is actually quite bad!

In your case, you should probably leave µTorrent's half-open connection limit at 8. It's ok to patch Windows XP to 50 max though.

USB modems almost always perform far worse than ethernet-based modems. If there is also an ethernet connection on your modem, I strongly advise you to use it instead.

Have you run Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and chosen the xx/128k setting (that's your upload speed)?

If not, check that the settings you're using are at least close to the values given when you choose the xx/128k setting.

There is nothing wrong with not connecting to every seeder or peer on a torrent. Many times, the tracker still stores ips of seeds and peers that have long since left for good. Other times, those seeds and peers are firewalled and simply cannot be connected to even if you are not firewalled. If someone's firewalled, they have to connect to you..you can only wait for that to happen.

You cannot expect to get max download speed on most torrents. If anything, a general rule-of-thumb is getting slightly more download speed than upload speed -- as you get back based on how much you GIVE. Since everyone has limited upload and download bandwidth, if you are downloading faster than you are uploading it means someone else ISN'T.

Guest torente

Thank you for the answer.

brief:

- I put 8 half open connections.

- I will run speed guide. Is speed guide configure in the best way? Do you suggest me to experimenting after speed guide configuration or to left how speed guide has chosen?

"If there is also an ethernet connection on your modem, I strongly advise you to use it instead."

it doesn't have.

Speed Guide is probably good enough. Even "expert" tweaking is likely to only get a very tiny bit better...maybe only 10%.

My personal setings started with the xx/384k default...and then I increased the upload speed some and decreased the number of connections µTorrent makes by a lot -- as I am on Win 98SE. µTorrent's half-open connection limit is set to only 4, as I get enough incoming connections (being not firewalled) that making alot of outgoing is unneccessary and even excessive.

Archived