Downloading bigger than filesize?

ashletina

For many of us, it's the middle of the night!

This isn't an instant messenger and we're not "on call 24/7".

So don't expect a response till the next day.

Ok, having said that...on to your problem!

In the general tab (after clicking on this torrent)

What's that torrent's availability?

What's the wasted amount?

How many hash fails have you had?

Are seeds/peers being banned for hash failure?

What speed is your connection, up and down?

...if you don't know, you can test it under Speed Guide (CTRL+G) in µTorrent.

Speed Guide can also let you pick a setting that matches your connection's UPLOAD speed...so overloads are far less likely, even nonexistant.

sorry i was just getting a little frantic cause because im downloading at my boyfriends and his brother will shoot me if he finds out i downloaded all this extra crap....

availability - 0.775

wasted 4.36mb (0 hashfails)

seeds - 0 our of 0 connected.

according to some test, my download speed is 3364kkps upload 563kbps

Speed Guide can also let you pick a setting that matches your connection's UPLOAD speed...so overloads are far less likely, even nonexistant.

i dont understand how to set them and what to set them too?

thanks for your help

Hrm... Can you try the speed test again, but making sure you're not using the internet connection for any other reason than to test? Meaning shutting µTorrent down, no IM'ing, no downloading, etc. I'm inclined to think you should select xx/640k, but we need to be a bit more sure first.

If availability is 0.775, then there's only 77.5% of the whole file available. You can't get any more than other people also have to share. And since you said you already had 77%, you're quite likely stuck till someone who has the rest rejoins.

In the meantime, any new person that comes along is downloading from you and downloading from others till they also get the same 77.5% as you have. So they probably download VERY fast till they reach that point...and then nothing! The 5gig is probably the amount you've uploaded -- quite likely the same thing over and over again. This is normal. Someone has to return the favor, possibly more than once, for these files to ever be available in the first place...and to stay available days later!

It's not your fault, if that is important you can wait for someone to come along...but most people never give a second thought when they download something that sharing back is important, and once they leave they're gone for good.

thanks guys.

my speeds (without utorrent or anything running):

to seattle - down 3409 up 571

san fran - down 3277 up 634

los angeles - down 2049 up - 658

dallas - down 3151 up 544

chicago - 2911 up 503

atlanta - down 3034 up 509

ney york down 2981 up 509

would the availability thing be helped by getting a different client?

If there's no one there, I don't see how changing clients will make them come.

Seems you can use Speed Guide settings for either xx/512k or xx/640k -- with the second being faster on upload but possibly a little slower on download...assuming there's anything available to download!

Archived