Wondering if my dl speed is normal

bip_at

I am new to torrent, so I don't know, if the speed i get with my torrent is normal or too slow.

Connection status is green, connection setup done by the speed guide.

The test torrent from the FAQ section was very fast -- it used all capacities of my connection (100 kB/sec download),

so I assume I setup everything correctly and my provider is not throttling p2p (my provider is Tiscali in Germany).

However, the other torrent I tried gave me only poor speed -- average of 10 kB/s. It has plenty of seeders/leechers but i don't get good speeds from them. At first I thought that this is normal, but other people on the internet seem to have much faster speed with the same torrent. So, can someone explain me what I am doing wrong and what the download speed depends on other then the client setup?

like i said, this one works perfectly (100 kb/sec). but the torrent i want to download just stucks at something around 10 kb/sek. sometimes a get a connection to a seeder/peer on 100 kb/sek, but only for a couple of minutes, the it disconnects again. i have the impression then the other people do not have such problems and can get constant high speed. is it a wrong impression?

PS. does the share on the overall download speed depend on my upload?

Your download speed does depend loosely on your upload speed, at least on torrents where there's not enough fast seeds to go around.

Also if you're uploading TOO fast for your connection, then your download speed suffers far worse than uploading only a little (such as 6 KB/sec). However for best results your upload speed needs to be about 80% of your connection's max.

Many of my torrents don't download at faster than 100 KB/sec, but they usually manage 20-50 KB/sec. These are torrents with few seeds (<5) and often less than 40 peers.

but is there a system in how the fast seeds/peers are distributed? I hardly get good seeds/peers and when i get them, then only just for a few minutes. But at the same time other people with the same torent seem to have constantly good seeds/peers connected ...

I think I have found the root of the problem -- it's my router. Althrough the speed guide stated that the torrent-port is forwarded correctly disabling the router increased both -- my downlaod and my upload. Before I disabled the router my upload speed had always been at 6 kb/s althrough i had set 12 as maximum.

I use Netgear RP614 v3 -- has anyone expirienced the same with this router?

Can somebody tell me, how a router can harm the bittorrent actvities when the prot is forwarded correctly?

Archived