Expected overhead/loss of speed question

kisianik

just want to know how much spped I could loose (expected), when comparing direct download with utorrent. When I used Ubuntu server as example, direct d/l with FireFox was about 680 kb/sec compare to utorrent from the same source of 600 kb/sec max and not stable (fluctuating up and down, so maybe even less than 600 kb/sec).

I always see that utorrent d/l slower than direct d/l (with a lot of seeders). Is this normal, expected, or I can tweak something to increase my speed.

My WRT54GL flashed to Firmware Version: v4.71.1, Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c, no firewall/antispyware enabled, internal HDD.

Also, which is the most reliable test for Internet speeds is available to test my overall ISP given bandwith (I am in US). All which I use are given me different results with highest d/l 5065 kbit/sec, and 680 kb/sec=5440 kbit/sec - my actual direct d/l speed from powerfull server?

Thanks for any response

P.S. Going to work now (night shift) - would not be able to respond probably for the next 12-13 hrs.

Thank you a lot! Feel more relaxed now.

What about the most reliable test of my d/l and upload speed/bandwith. I was using speakeasy, dslreports, and sbcyahoo speed tests - all with different results?

I am talking about my line/contract capabilities (so I can argue with India tech support for my ISP in more proffesional manner). I am using SBCYahoo (ATT now). Also, I noted that upload overhead is much smaller (if measure in percentiles %) than d/l one (I am much closer to contract upload bandwith, than to contract d/l bandwith)..

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

For testing, you should generally use/trust the test server closest to wherever you are. Make sure you're not doing anything but testing, while you are testing. That means no downloading (exit µTorrent), no browsing, chatting, or whatever else that could use the internet connection.

Archived