two wan connections

radeone

is it possible to boost my utorrent by using two wan connections... i dont mean two nics connected to the same router. i have a dsl modem connected to my router. and a cablemodem that happens to work and i have them both plugged into my computer but i dont see a significant change in my download speeds. any help would be appreciated.

Yes, sort of. If you had 2 separate computers, they could run separate torrents and get the speed benefits of all the upload bandwidth between the 2 internet connections.

If µTorrent allows multiple instances and settings, then it might even be possible to do that on 1 computer -- though I'm not sure each µTorrent could be bound to a particular internet connection. It can and HAS been done with different torrent programs on the same computer though. (Azureus + µTorrent, µTorrent + BitTornado I think I've heard). But even in those cases, the speed gain is very unreliable at best if trying to download the SAME torrent at the same time on both programs! It might be possible with multi-file torrents to have 1 program only download the 1st part and the other download the last part...then share with each other, but that would require lots of manual control and possibly constant monitoring. You'd also have to trick the 2 programs into "seeing" each other across the LAN instead of through the internet, so they would start sharing to themselves early and quickly (at LAN upload speeds rather than through your limited internet upload speeds).

I'd love to try something like that myself, but fear I'd be hard-pressed to make any useful results. A single, truely faster connection is almost always better than 2 slower ones...till it goes down.

ah well me and my buddy have a twin wan router. windows load balancing in vista and xp really blow. in linux its alright. if you have 2 internet connections and want the power of both and have about 250 bux to shell out id go with a xincom twin wan router does everything for you out of the box.

Archived