Which is the user agent of μTorrent

jibba

I am curious how μTorrent identifies itself as an user agent...

I mean firefox user agent is that:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; el-GR; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050919 Firefox/1.0.7

What's μTorrent's?

μTorrent/1.1.7.2 ?

Or something else?

Thank you in advance :oops:

I wonder why this infomartion is important... a bit of private torrent site cheating? ;)

All uTorrent needs in the user agent is the name and version number. Firefox/other broswers provide more information because they are browsers and uTorrent doesn't browse the net ;)

• 1 year later...

Is there anyway to change the user-agent that utorrent reports? My ISP apparently is choking utorrent (and other clients too) by using this user-agent thing as a signature to recognise torrenting attempts . At least, that is what I understand from checking around a few websites.

It would really help if I could make utorrent declare itself as a browser program instead of a BT client.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread. I checked around and couldn't find anything more suitable. Thought it would be presumptious to start a new thread before understanding what is going on.

OK. Thanks.

I read in another thread here about using third-party spoof programs. I'm trying that - its not too good but slow speeds are better than none. It's rather sad. We don't have alternative ISPs and this one seems content to curse us for DLing instead of increasing its pipe. Guess I'll just have to make do for now until we find a way out of this.

changing utorrent's user agent to a browser's user agent will not exactly work..

let's take a look at btittracker's announce.php:

// Error: no web browsers allowed
$agent = mysql_escape_string($_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"]);
// Deny access made with a browser...

if (ereg("^Mozilla\\/", $agent) || ereg("^Opera\\/", $agent) || ereg("^Links ", $agent) || ereg("^Lynx\\/", $agent))
{
header("HTTP/1.0 500 Bad Request");
die(ERR_TORRENT_IN_BROWSER);
}

dunno about other tracker systems, but i guess it's the same.. in order to get around that u have to change the user agent to something else although it's unclear whether your ISP doesnt block unknown user agents..

I think it works a little. I don't have perfect connectivity, but certain torrents are going at full-tilt. Might also have something to do with the Taiwan quake which cut off some connections.

@dAbReAkA: Not sure about how the actual blocking is going on, but direct downloads using DAP (DL Accel Plus) seem to be going at nearly full speed.

My main problem now seems to be sites with private trackers that appear to be a little more sensitive to spoofing. The demonoid/TPB/torrentportal stuff seems to be moving OK

IMHO its something to do with the header sent by the program. I was on encryption a long time ago, also because of torrent shaping.

This is some new thing that detects torrent packets despite the encryption. Most users in Malaysia are on this ISP because it monopolises the last mile connection pretty much. We found that the new type of choking started about a couple of weeks ago. You can read http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/399896 if you are interested in the details.

What I understand from that forum is that by meddling with the tracker communications, my ISP can prevent me connecting to other users. And apparently they had the gall to run an advert showing a water pipe and telling us not to waste their 'pipe'. IMHO all those half-files because of the blocking is more a waste of bandwidth than if they had just permitted the BT usage.

We weren't wasting anything, we were just putting our connections to full use 24/7! :)

They've just changed their mind about their flat-rate monthly plan now that users are starting to tax their pipe and they would rather kill this than invest in more connections. :(

• 4 years later...

You can find out a useragent by visiting http://www.whatsmyuseragent.com/

Pasting this into a torrent as a tracker and following up with a browser visit will give you μTorrent's useragent on the recent list in bold from your IP.

uTorrent/2200(24402)

for μTorrent version 2.2 build 24402

A guide for spoofing this traffic to bypass ISP throttling can be found here: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/399896

Works for me, I figured I'd leave this info here for anyone who googles this topic in the future and finds this page like I did.

Archived