Slow download speeds with Belkin MIMO Modem Router (F5D9630-4)

M_Taylor40

Hi,

I really need some help! I'm sick of this thing killing my BT download speeds.

I'm using a Belkin Wireless MIMO Modem Router (F5D9630-4), on a 5.5mb broadband connection, I have 2 computers, 1 desktop connected through cable, 1 laptop through the wireless. my internet and wireless work perfectly, I can download at 550kps from websites and everything seems to be working perfectly. PlusNet is my ISP and they do not restrict P2P access, unless you reach over a certian peak-time limit, but I'm nowhere near the limit.

But as soon as I try using ANY bittorrent client, my download speeds are a maximum of 10kps, sometimes they are only 5kps! I've configured the port forwarding and using the checker built into utorrent and the one at the dslguide website (think thats the site), the ports are forwarding correctly, I've gone through the walkthrough on www.portforward.com and still have problems, I've tried another few tutorials and still this thing doesn't work.

I'm using the built-in firewalls on the router and Norton IS2005, I no its nothing wrong with either comupter or the software firewalls as the computers downloaded at full speed using the USB modem. I've tried turning the router firewalls and security off, but I still have the slow speeds. I also use PeerGuardian to filter out the bad IP addresses, but I have turned off all firewalls and security software on everything and I still get these pathetic speeds.

I've tried using Azureus, Bitspirit and uTorrent and they all have the same problem.

If there is anyone out there that knows what is going wrong or even better, how to fix this, please help me!

Thanks in advance,

M_Taylor40

Just thought you might want some basic PC details,

---Desktop---

Pentium 4 w/ HT - 3.00Ghz

1GB Dual Channel Corsair RAM (2x512Mb)

800GB Hard Drive space (2x200GB, 1x400GB)

ATI Radeon X300 PCI-X 256Mb

Windows XP MCE 2005 (all updates)

Norton IS2005 (all updates)

PeerGuardian 2.0 Beta 6b (all updates)

Firefox 2.0

Ad-aware Personal (all updates)

SpyBot (all updates)

---Laptop---

Toshiba Satalite A100-163

Pentium Core Duo T2300

1GB RAM

80GB Hard drive

ATI Radeon X1400 128Mb

Windows XP Pro (all updates)

Norton IS2005 (all updates)

PeerGuardian 2.0 Beta 6b (all updates)

Firefox 2.0

Ad-aware Personal (all updates)

SpyBot (all updates)

If I understand this correctly, you're using a USB modem. So your laptop has to connect through your router to your desktop which the USB modem is connected with?

Also, USB modems are notorious for being unable to handle the connection load that ethernet-based modems handle just fine.

What is your connection's upload speed max?

Also, please post ALL the settings you're using as shown by Speed Guide (CTRL+G).

No Im using the Belkin modem built into the router, my usb modem currently isn't being used (it was only used until I bought the modem router, its now sat back in its box as a backup incase my router dies).

both computers connect through the Belkin modem router, the desktop through a cat5e 100mbs cable, and the laptop through the wireless.

Its the USB modem that could handle the internet and utorrent fine, its the router that cant.

for full spec on the router: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=272220

My connection speeds are (from http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp at 2pm today):

Downstream: 2,653.9 Kbps ( = 2.6 Mbps )

Upstream: 367.9 Kbps ( = 0.4 Mbps )

The settings from the speed guide are:

Upload limit: 0kBps

Upload slots: 4

Connections per torrent: 50

Connections global: 200

Max active torrents: 8

Max active downloads: 5

Port: 61381 (desktop), 61382 (laptop)

I had to give seperate ports in the belkin settings for both computers.

Archived