PNRP v2.0 via Windows Update?

notharry

Peer Name Resolution Protocol is used in a peer to peer networking. It converts name to ip address for example you at work on a small network that is sharing files or a printer and you want to get file from say Johns pc . You see Johns computer files as John but you connect to John computer by IP address.

Peer Name Resolution Protocol converts Johns name to an Ip addrees for TCP/IP. This will have no effect on Utorrent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNRP

My understanding of it is that it works as a separate action. I suppose it might make it possible to manually add a peer to the µT peerlist using their PNRP host name. But other than that, it wouldn't affect µT.

In any case, it only works if you're using IPv6, which most people aren't. So it probably wouldn't affect you at all.

I'm not sure why I can't find a thread, but I sorta recall someone saying they updated their PNRP stuff from Windows Update, and it screwed something up =o

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is something I would follow when it comes to things such as this, where I can't imagine any need to update.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived