Wireless Issues

Dyckah

ok, i have a wireless router supplying me with internet, the Dlink Dl-524, and i have a slight problem.

my connection speed is always fine (48-54Mb/s) while i just have internet explorer or some such program running, but as soon as i start up utorrent, the speed drops all the way down to 1.0-11.0Mb/s, signal strength still being excellent.

as soon as i shutdown utorrent again, my connection speed jumps right back to its usual speed.

anyone able to help me out with this problem, as it causes downloads to take forever :\

thanks in advance for any help

D-Link routers are bad...wireless routers are worse. You've got one that's both. If it was connected to your computer via USB that'd just be a topper. :P

When using D-Link + wireless, you cannot use aggressive settings in µTorrent -- they have to be far more conservative than Speed Guide gives for your upload speed! You may be able to set upload as high as before, but total connections, half-open limit, max active torrents all have to be reduced. Also too, DHT and UPnP must be disabled. You can enable Peer Exchange in place of DHT...but it may not be enough to complete a marginal torrent that DHT would complete just fine.

lol, i am using a wireless usb connection :|

UPnP has always been disabled, im am not too lazy to forward ports by myself, its actually a habit i have whenever i install a new program.. :P

i changed everything to what you suggested, (except the half open limit, where do i find that?) however, as soon as i open utorrent, my conection speed still drops, while my connection strenght remains the same.. any ideas? what wireless routers are better? i have had some bad luck with linksys wired routers in the past, and am hesitant to use them again..

Archived