noob needs your help, please.

EugeneV

I am on a school network, and I have used utorrent for a few months with out a porblem, then a week ago i wasn't able to connect to any trackers or peers. I asked my roommate and he said that I should enable outgoing protocol encryption. I did and i was able to download torrents again, for a day or so. now once again I can't connect to trackers or peers, the tracker status simply reads offline (timed out). I have tried downloading from different trackers and they all read offline (timed out). I have tried updating the trackers and nothing has worked. I am using the latest edition of utorrent. Here is the weird part my room who's next door, and also on the schools network is downloading with out any problems, and his utorrent is set up the same way mine is.

Can someone please give me a list of things I can check to see what can possibly be doing this? also I am using norton antivirus, and have the windows xp firewall on but I am allowing utorrent. I have recently installed some secuirity updates but, I was still able to download after installing the updates. I haven't changed any setting in the windows xp firewall or norton antivirus. Right now I am able to upload some torrents and I am uploading at 300kb/sec, but most torrents can't connect to the tracker. The torrents are also popular with many seeders and leechers so it's not like, there simply is no one seeding. Also I have plenty of space on my hard drive. This all happened very suddenly, one day I was able to download, and the next I wasn't.

any ideas, advice or help is greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Merged double post(s):

Also my DHT: 257 nodes , and there is a red ticker that reads that I am not connectable, but I can't forward any protst since I am on a school network.

EDIT by silverfire: The edit function exists for a reason. Double posting instead of editing is negligent and unnecessary.

I tried it and ran it for about 8 hours and still nothing changed. I am on a school network which means unlimited bandwidth for uploading and downloading. There are thousands of people who download from the network at anyone time, and I am 90% sure none of them are limiting their upload speeds. Also my roommate, downloads, about 10 gigs a day and doesn't limit his upload, his upload speed is always around 300KB/sec.

I really think it's the way utorrent is set up on my computer, since others on the same network can download, and I can't connect to the trackers most of the time. The only setting I have changed so far was to enable outgoing protocol encryption. What other settings should I try changing to see if it will make a difference. I would be happy to get any download speed what so ever. My problem is that I can't connect to the peers or the tracker. It says the tracker is offline (timed out).

It doesn't make much sense that you're connected to the DHT network, yet connecting to peers and seeds seems almost impossible.

Quite likely you need to uninstall Norton and reconfigure Win XP's firewall.

You may have µTorrent's half-open limit set too high -- try first reducing it to 8 and if that doesn't help reduce it all the way to 4.

Even if people can upload at 300 KB/sec, it may still be technically against the fair use policies of the school's network resources. Running without ANY upload speed limit in µTorrent is just plain stupid -- it can cause odd behavior due to occassional overload problems.

So you're thinking that my anti-virus software is causing me to not be able to connect to trackers or peers? Also I have turned off my windows xp firewall and restartd utorrent and waited a few hours, and I still can't connect to peers or trackers. So it's not my windows firewall.

What do you mean by half-open limit set too high? how do I go about changing it?

Also I have set my global upload limit to 200kb/sec and still no change. I don't understand how limiting my upload will make a difference when the thousand other people on the same network as me are not limiting their upload and are uploading and downloading as much as possible? I mean we all share the bandwidth, and I understand what you mean by if the upload is not limited it might screw things up, but that can only work for a private home network where you know all your computers are limiting the upload but on a huge network like the schools network it's impossible to make sure everyone limits their upload, and the fact that I am limiting my upload will only hurt me. or at best not make any changes.

You got it backwards actually, not limiting your bandwidth on a big network with seemingly "endless" supply of bandwidth only hurts you because you're not allowed to use unlimited amounts of upload bandwidth. It will drop your download speed so hard that you might be getting <10 KB/sec on average and even download spikes will seldom exceed 50 KB/sec.

If others are getting 300 KB/sec upload speeds, then setting upload faster than 300 KB/sec will cause you problems. It's ok to test the absolute limits occassionally, but pointless to try to run faster than sustainable limits -- which may be considerably less than that.

Just limiting upload SPEED isn't enough, the Speed Guide sets numerous other items when you choose a speed setting. The reason why I said to limit to only 100 KB/sec is because of possible long-term problems of overusing bandwidth -- you may not lose your connection, but it may "magically" never reach over 50 KB/sec after a week of heavy use. Your current problems may even be a RESULT of overuse in the past! Sysadmins very from lazy to draconian to incompetant or all the above...so you may be the only 1 "singled out" in your area.

There's also the issues of possible computer-sided problems such as not being able to handle making lots of connections at once or quickly (half-open limit). If attempted, the results may duplicate your problems.

Half open connection limit is set in µTorrent's advanced settings -- it defaults to 8 and WILL cause problems if set higher on a Win XP SP2 box that isn't specially patched.

Even if your download speed averaged only 100 KB/sec, in 1 day alone you'd get a little over 8 GB. Even if you aggressively download, chances are you'd not be able to keep that download rate up for more than a month. And after a month or 2, hard drive space would be a problem unless you have terabytes of space. :lol:

ok, well, I know for a fact that the schools network is not really monitored for bandwidth because like i said there are people who download a lot more than me. My roommate the one that downloads all the time has 5 300gig external hard drives, and also erases things as he watches them. So he has plenty of space at all times. We don't have a TV so we download all the showes we love to watch and watch them that way. Also I forgot to mention that my school is in the caribbean and their IT department is a monkey with a bucket of bananas so they don't know how to block certain users, and I know I am not blocked becaue my webpages load just as fast as they did before. Ugh I know that it's dificult to trouble shoot when the computer with the problem isn't in front of you and greatly appreciate the help you have given me.

Something happened today. When I started up utorrent the icon on the bottow was the red circle instead of the yellow triangle that's there all the time, and I acually was able to connect to some trackers and peers and download some files. this only lasted for like 4 hours but i was getting very high speeds. 400kb/sec download and 290kb/sec upload. Also what seemed like the more popular torrents were downloading a lot slower then some other torrents that had a lot less peers and seeders.

I didn't change any settings or anything. And now I am back to not being able to connect to seeders again. So the problems is that I can't connect because once I connect I can download very fast... Does that give anyone a hint as what is wrong with my set up?

Archived