Nat error, even though everything seems to be going fine

radx

I've got a Linksys WRT54GS router. I've forwarded a port in that to my pc on my lan and everything seems to be working just swell. I can download and upload with utorrent and I've not noticed any slow speeds downloading or uploading.

But the program still says "NAT Error". What gives? I've tried to change port and poked around with UPnP. But i rather not keep it enabled. I prefer to configure my own setup rather than using automatic setups. I've never had any problems with ABC, AZ, Bitcomet. I'm quite familiar with how to set things up so I really don't think i've done anything wrong, unless there's a unique utorrent setting i might've missed out on?

My settings:

Port: 22222

Randomize port: unchecked

Enable UPnP: unchecked

Global max upload (80% of my capacity)

Global max download (no cap)

IP to report to tracker: left empty

Make sure you put in the correct IP address in the Port Forwarding config, and restart uTorrent. Don't forget you have to hit save configuration when you make the changes in the router.

The WRT54G/GS routers don't have Static DHCP by default (you can add this by using HyperWRT by Thibor firmware for the GS, HyperWRT tofu6.2 for G), so your PC's IP may or may not change when the router is reset.

I'm using Firmware Version: Free-Man/Basic 1.0.4. This version has pretty much all you can ask for. (it is not supported by Cisco or Linksys).

I'm using static lan ip addresses on my network.

Infact i've got a mailserver runing on the same server and the easiest way to set that up was using static ip addresses.

The strange thing is that everything "seems" to be working. Mayhap the downloads and uploads are somewhat slower than normal. But they are moving along.

Is there anyway to "test" the port? Like in AZ where you can test your configuration within the program?

I do believe uTorrent tests the port automatically, hence why it knows if there's a NAT error and displays it on the status bar. BitTorrent works without the forwarding, though more slowly. Strange that your other things work but uTorrent won't. If all else fails, you could just change uTorrent to another port and forward that one, in case some kind of random glitch prevented the old forward from working.

Do you have a firewall? Firewalls can cause the errors, even the Windows Firewall.

From the FAQ:

If UPnP is disabled or no UPnP port was acquired, it displays NAT error if no incoming connections were established but outgoing connections are working fine.

Therefore "NAT Error" indicates that remote peers may not be able reach you, and ".. OK" incates that incoming/outgoing connections are working. NAT Error indicates that you may need to configure your firewall or router to allow or redirect connections to your computer.

Notice the "may", so it´s not necessarily a problem.

I'll tell you what I think based on my own observations. I think uTorrent just looks at all your connections and if there is no connection on your incoming port it displays NAT error. That's it, it doesn't test the port like Gibson's site would for example (how could it?). In my opinion this is a very simple but smart way to test, albeit it might give false positives.

Do this, run TCPview and see if you are getting connections on your incoming 22222 port. If there is none, you get a NAT error. It could be either that no peer tried to connect to it or that you indeed have a NAT error. Hence the "may".

Do this, run TCPview and see if you are getting connections on your incoming 22222 port. If there is none, you get a NAT error. It could be either that no peer tried to connect to it or that you indeed have a NAT error. Hence the "may".

I did what you suggested and the results are normal? I think. I've got only one connection on 22222 (listening) right now. And that's because I'm currently only downloading one thing and seeding a lot. Or should I have more? Have a look

http://flum.se/utorrent-tcp.txt.

Do you have a firewall?

No, I've disabled the firewall. I'm only using my routers built-in firewall.

Here are two pics

http://flum.se/u-torrent-routersettings.gif

http://flum.se/u-torrent-netsettings.gif

i had the same problem a few days ago's, so i hope the following will help as this is what i have done ..

1st.. pick a port, preff a high port mines 65531, then goto this webpage and test to see if the port is open, closed or stealth..

https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=65531

(you can change the port to what ever yours is..)

open = everythings fine and it can be acessed

stealth = not working (firewall or router issue)

closed = not working (firewall & router issue)

if you need more help in opening ports via in your firewall software just ask..

most important think is make sure the router has opened the port and is going to the right ip .. type "ipconfig /all" in the command line to make sure your ip is correct. and dont for get to save and restart your router after any ajustments are made.

If I can make a suggestion, I have a WRT54G router as well.. I have played with all the various hacked firmwares, but atm the only acceptably stable one for me is: v4.00.7, Apr. 26, 2005.. I can't wait until somebody makes a 3rd party firmware based on that package.

If static IP's are an issue, its easy enough to set pc's up statically and tell the dhcp server to begin using the next IP after that.

Lastly, when was the last time you rebooted your router? A simple power-flick has fixed wierd NAT errors for me.

triggernum, try v4.20.8 - HyperWRT 2.1b1+tofu6.2

You can find it on linksysinfo.org, though you have to register to download.

once you update the firmware, open the command shell (Run Command) in the administration page and type

erase nvram;reboot

hit enter

you'll have to reconfigure your stuff, but it'll clear out all the crap leftover in memory and such by other firmwares. typically, doing this will solve all the weird problems you have :)

I did what you suggested and the results are normal? I think. I've got only one connection on 22222 (listening) right now. And that's because I'm currently only downloading one thing and seeding a lot. Or should I have more?

You don't have an ESTABLISHED connection on your incoming port. Listening only means uTorrent opened it. So according to my previous reasoning you would get the NAT error message.

What this means is one of two things. Peers are not trying to connect to you or they can't because you or your ISP is blocking them. I see nothing in your config that would cause you blocking them.

Archived