5 - 10 kB/s downloads on broadband

callaghan

Hi there,

I've had a good read through this section before posting, but I'm still having no luck.

Ok, so here's my info:

Windows XP

Zone Alarm and AVG professional

D-Link DSL 302g Modem/Router (I think it's both?)

My ISP is Xtra in New Zealand

My download/upload speeds are 2500k/128k

My torrents are all running between 5 and 10 kB/s, I've even tried the Open Office one and that got to 25 ish, but averaged out at about 18. I've got Protocol Encryption on, peer.lazy_bitfield is enabled, and I've forwarded port number 32459 and am getting a green light.

Any ideas? If you need any more info let me know, as I'm dying to get this sorted!

I've got 6.0.6. The ISP throttling sounds feasible, seeing as they've just changed all of their plans, and that I am now on an uncapped data plan. However, doesn't turning the protocol encryption on alleviate this problem? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, I'm not exactly a computer wiz!

[MERGED DOUBLE POST]

And also, if the throttling can't be worked around, how do I find out a port that's not restricted, something like the one that some ISP called Rogers has for their phone calling?

I have indeed. I just had a quick word with the people at my ISP, and apparently there have been "Issues" with download speeds on the new plan that I am on, which they are hoping to rectify within a week. Would this explain why some port check websites are not recognising the port as open, or is that a separate problem I need to be worried about?

I appreciate the help so far!

Archived