uTorrent and WRT54GL

Psycho

First of all, just to be clear, I have read that there have been problems with uTorrent and the Linksys WRT54GL router.

I own that router, and I'm pretty sure that I'm effected by that.

Now what I'm wondering, is this a problem with just uTorrent, or does it apply to all BitTorrent clients?

Thanks in advance :).

EDIT: I just noticed this post. Please read it first before continuing.

I'm writing this from behind a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1, running DD-WRT. It's much better than the stock firmware on your router; more features, more stable, better interface. IF you decide to install DD-WRT on it, be careful to follow the instructions, and double check what you're doing before you do it. If you have the WRT54GL version 1.0, you'll need to install the minifirmware (dd-wrt.v23_mini_wrt54g.bin) first before upgrading to the "standard" version. If you are using the WRT54GL v1.1, you can just install the standard version (dd-wrt.v23_wrt54g.bin) directly. You can see if you have the GL version 1.0 or 1.1 by looking at the sticker on the bottom of your router.

If you screw up, you can kill your router, but if you follow the instructions carefully, you should be just fine. I've done 3 of these routers without problems. You will want to read this section; it explains that you'll need to telnet into the router and type two lines after upgrading, to re-enable the web interface.

Anyway - assuming you do want to install DD-WRT on this thing (and you do - it rocks), you'll want to adjust the maximum open connections and the connection timeout. The default maximum connections is too low for bittorent, and the connection timeout is too long. So, after you upgrade, go to the Administration tab, then Management, and scroll down to the bottom. Change the maximum ports to 4096. Change the TCP and UDP timeouts to 300. Save your settings, and you should be just fine :) Using DD-WRT and the connection settings I mentioned above, I successfully have 3 computers using uTorrent at the same time.

Edit: I will also mention, you can ... uh, "tweak" your wireless output power. Default is 23mw. DD-WRT lets you change that, from 1mw to 251mw. 84mw seems to be very effective at increasing the signal, without distorting it or shortening the life of the router. :)

Archived