ip on display

penry

When you're downloading there is a list that shows up the downloaders country of origin and there ip address. In the current bt climate is this a safe thing to do. I have just put this client on my comp so i don't fully know what everything is about. I used to use bit tornado. Also i can't find where abouts on the computer the programme is if i ever wan't to uninstall.

When you're downloading there is a list that shows up the downloaders country of origin and there ip address. In the current bt climate is this a safe thing to do. I have just put this client on my comp so i don't fully know what everything is about. I used to use bit tornado. Also i can't find where abouts on the computer the programme is if i ever wan't to uninstall.

..All BT clients have the IP address of all the peers on open display, there is no way round this......A least Utorrent gives a hint of the ips location

I might be getting a bit paranoid of being sued for downloading or i may be barking up the wrong tree but isn't giving a hint of were the downloaders location is a bad thing? Anyone know how to uninstall if i wan't to.

Also a word on the programme. It does seem pretty clear and easy to use. I'll give it time as long as the ip thing gets the ok.

cheers for your'e time

You can rightclick somewhere in the peers-window and deselect "Resolve IPs". That way, the countries won't show up.

However, if you are thinking about the security risk about having the IPs show, even if the program wouldn't display the IPs, they would still be sent to the client, since otherwise there would be no way to download from anyone.

And the ISPs can't see what you see in the client, they will only see the packages you're sending, and no BT client can block them from doing so (as far as I know).

Cheers everyone. I know i'm ok anyway as i only download freeware and data to back up my origional discs. I'm glad my english improved during this postal session. Does anyone know were to uninstall it from? I am intending to give utorrent time but it's nice to know. It's not in my programmes so were will it be.

Cheers again.

Since there is no install, you don't need to uninstall it. The only traces left by µTorrent are in %appdata%utorrent. If you want to remove the program, just delete these files and utorrent.exe

I noticed there is a registry key too, but that one only contain the command for opening .torrent-files it seems.

I think the point you are all missing is...

If someone else is using Utorrent or Azureus with the plugin, and others I bet...

They are still going to see a country and IP...so it does not matter what you do..

And all P2P is based on IPs, so it does not matter about a little flag, if they are going to get you, thats that..

Lol :D

I think the point you are all missing is...

If someone else is using Utorrent or Azureus with the plugin, and others I bet...

They are still going to see a country and IP...so it does not matter what you do..

And all P2P is based on IPs, so it does not matter about a little flag, if they are going to get you, thats that..

Lol :D

Or, if you are interested in knowing the country, you can simply just open a command prompt and type "nslookup <ip>" to view the TLD, and get the same information.

Or you could use the not-very-few html-based IP resolvers to find out the same information.

Do you laugh out loud at any little thing. What's funny about that. That's that if you download or reproduce copyrighted material. Like i said.

penry...

Err yes I do

I also laugh at people who worry about what they see in THEIR torrent client, as if it make any difference to someone elses client.

As in not showing the flags, lol, that is funny..

and as for downloading dodgy stuff, then DONT.

Lol :lol:

creed.

I don't worry i just asked a civilised question.I live in a country were you don't get sued.(yet)

I also put my stuff on RW discs so they can get my 3 discs if they want.

I'm a little fish.

I just asked a question.I didn't tell a joke.

My questions been answered so no need to get back to me again.

As for utorrent i was downloading an unpopular torrent and got 14 downloading speed.

I then tried bittornado and got 2 so seems like it's decent.

That last sentence was a fact not a joke.

penry

You are talking nonsense now, you were not asking about client speeds

Your Initial post was you saying this....

When you're downloading there is a list that shows up the downloaders country of origin and there ip address. In the current bt climate is this a safe thing to do.

The funny bit was you worrying about what you saw... :lol:

and

I know i'm ok anyway as i only download freeware and data to back up my origional discs.
I also put my stuff on RW discs so they can get my 3 discs if they want. I'm a little fish.

Make your mind up

and please get a sense of humour, your english is perfect. 8)

CREED

Your right i've been on 3-11 and wasn't really thinking straight. I am a bit wary of getting caught surely everyone is. Her in uk it's not really an issue yet and i don't have much here worth getting me for. I'm no computer superstar but i know enough. The flags just took me by surprise as i've seen ip's on display before. Anyway what do you think of utorrent. I was using bittornado and it does alright somedays and then not the next. sorry for the antisocial responses.

All the best Penry.

Hmm, this is interesting, this technique which penry is using is called "forum raging" and it's a tactic usually employed by members of the CS clan Myg0t.

(which are known for cheating in games just to piss people off, they have an excellent tutorial of how to annoy people in forums.....)

heh.

Archived