I almost can't browse while using utorrent (sometimes)

Chrono79

Well, another post about this, I've searched and tried the suggestions in the other posts but none worked for me.

XP + sp2 (lvlord patch allowing 500 connections)

No router, XP firewall allowing utorrent to connect

ADSL 256/128

utorrent 1.1.7.2

utorrent settings:

-Maximum global connections: 200

-Maximum number of clients per torrent: 40

-Maximum number of upload slots per torrent: 3

-Maximum global upload rate set at 8kB/s

Only downloading 1 torrent.

I've noticed using "netstat -a" a lot (more than 80!) of "CLOSE_WAIT" from the same IP (but from different ports). The IP was from one peer from a torrent. Right now I'm not connected to that peer and the "CLOSE_WAIT" are still there. Is there anything I can do to solve this? (I mean if it's related to my problem: I can't browse because of the time outs, images not loading, etc.) The only way to get rid of the "CLOSE_WAIT" was to disconnect and reconnect to internet (closin utorrent didn't work)

I've found this, here:

Sometime sockets are in CLOSE_WAIT state, this state conducts when a client doesn't answer back anymore with the last ack N+1. A client crashing while they had a connection is occurring may times as a result the socket isn't closed properly, but much more occurring bad programming is the issue why sockets are closed inappropriate. Most socket developers forget to give a explicit call for shutdown() before the close()/ socketclose(). The shutdown(RDWR) flushes the socket send and receive buffers and tells the other side to stop sending data and that it don't have to expect data anymore. As a close()/ socketclose() is called upon the chance on a CLOSE_WAIT state is out of the question at the side of the software. According to the TCP specifications the server has to stay in CLOSE_WAIT state to be sure that all data (TCP guarantees data transmission) is transmitted. Lot of OS developers saw this problem in the TCP specifications and added a (friendly) timeout to the CLOSE_WAIT that in most cases is adjustable. Windows NT and 2000 doesn't foresee in a CLOSE_WAIT timeout parameter, the only way to free those resources is restarting. When there are structural CLOSE _WAIT(s) on a certain service, the best way is to contact the reseller of the service or client(s) to solve this problem because this is a clear software problem with the service, client(s) or both.

XP + sp2 (lvlord patch allowing 500 connections)

Remove patch, try again. uTorrent doesn't need any system patches.

Is there anything I can do to solve this? (I mean if it's related to my problem: I can't browse because of the time outs, images not loading, etc.)

Your internets is broken. Fix your internets. Try different networking equipment and/or contact your ISP.

Remove patch, try again. uTorrent doesn't need any system patches.

Removed.

Your internets is broken. Fix your internets. Try different networking equipment and/or contact your ISP.

Mmmm, I don't think so. It's utorrent related. I must say it happens once in a while, not always. I didn't check it with netstat before the last time it happened. I'll keep testing it.

Archived